Music to iNat To?

I sometimes pop on some music when doing a lot of identifying and was wondering if others do the same, and, if so, what their favorite accompaniments are for iNatting. I suppose music would be great for uploading a bunch of observations as well but probably less so for naturalizing in the field! To keep this on topic (and avoid just a general music recommendations thread), please let us know why you find any suggestions good for listening while using iNat specifically.

My go tos are soundtracks like Jurassic Park and some from videogames (Mass Effect is a good one). I’m very easily distracted by lyrics in general and find that music with words (or at least words in a language I understand) reduces my IDing speed and accuracy.

15 Likes

I hadn’t been doing that, but now I feel like I need a playlist of “Lofi Hip Hop Beats to relax/ID observations to”

10 Likes

I have a playlist for this! It has mostly upbeat and positive music, things that you can tap your foot to. I find that I keep a good identifying rhythm if I’m listen to really steady music. If anyone’s interested to add some songs to their playlist, here are some songs I like:

4 Likes

I usually whistle like birds (e.g. Bellbird, Tui) while identifying so I feel like I’m doing the work in the forest

5 Likes

“structures from silence” and “Quiet music” by steve roach is ambient, alyrical and very relaxing. “mixing colours” by roger eno is also very good ambient music.

3 Likes

I tend to inat to my regular playlist of The Cramps, Blondie, Ramones, Dead Moon, Elvis Costello & The Attractions, etc. Not sure if it is necessarily “iNat music.” (Usually I only keep one earbud in though, in case there are any crying squirrels nearby signaling me to a hawk.).
If you’re looking for something non-lyrical…maybe try Coconut Mall by Arcade Player? I always get very hyper when I listen to it and oddly more productive. It also brings back good memories of playing Mario Kart.

4 Likes

From this small subset alone, I can just tell you have impeccable music taste.

1 Like

Sabaton, Running Set, Colm Mcguinness, Heilung, The HU, Ennio Morricone, Gustav Holst basically anything fast.

4 Likes

Thank you! :)

1 Like

The only real answer is industrial techno.

Just kidding.

Whatever floats your boat really. I like to unwind after a field day with Boards of Canda, Tycho, Autechre, relaxing hip hop, etc. Field recordings of birds and amphibians of wherever I was just at.

1 Like

I’ve found that Hand Me My Shovel, I’m Going In! is the perfect song for identifying large amounts of observations from messy student bioblitzes.

4 Likes

Local classical music radio station stream helps me focus

To @rinaturalist , every song by Queen should be on your playlist :slightly_smiling_face: Boston, Journey, Rush, Kansas, Chicago, and Toto also have hits that fit that theme

3 Likes

I find exactly the same thing; big fan of Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Two Steps from Hell, and similar music for when I’m working and listening at the same time.

3 Likes

Three for three here; love me some original scores! Two Steps from Hell and X-Ray Dog do awesome work, nice to see stuff like that mentioned.

Video game soundtracks are usually my first choices; my go to’s are the Okami and Minecraft soundtracks. Also the original Spyro games; those were done by Stewart Copeland. I’ve been listening to a lot of music from the Monster Hunter franchise lately and I’ve got a playlist from the older generation of Pokemon games that I like to use for when I know I’m gonna be on a while.

2 Likes

I have the soundtrack from the 1999 videogame Bugdom. It’s perfect for iNat.

12 Likes

I enjoy Lo-Fi beats or downtempo Chilled beats for PC work, whether photo editing or iNatting.

Damu The Fudgemunk has loads of great, crate digging grooves. Also love Fila Brazillia with the album Maim That Tune being a highlight. Kruder and Dorfmeister’s K&D Sessions double album is essential listening and still fresh after so many years.

Laid back Jazz from say Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, …

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to Steve Howe from Yes ( also favorite) Mood for a Day, Clap, Vivaldi’s Concerto in D, wonderful duet with Les Paul….

1 Like

Instrumental: R. Carlos Nakai “Canyon Trilogy,” Bela Fleck “Big Country” and “Cricket Wars,” The Kruger Brothers “Up 18 North,” David Lindley “The Johnson Boys,” Nickel Creek “Elsie,” Jessita Reyes “Rain Clouds Gather in the Mountains.”

Folk: John Denver “Take Me Home, Country Roads” and “Sunshine on my Shoulders,” Cat Stevens “Peace Train” and “If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out,” Eddie Vedder “Society,” Lord Huron “Ghost on the Shore,” Bob Dylan “The Times They Are A-Changin’” and “Shelter from the Storm,” James Taylor “Carolina in My Mind” and “Mexico.”

Bluegrass: The Steeldrivers, Old Crow Medicine Show, Doc Watson, The Steep Canyon Rangers, The Stanley Brothers, Trampled by Turtles, and the entirety of the “O Brother Where Art Thou” soundtrack.

3 Likes

Ok coconut mall is the best though. Not specifically for iNat, but sometimes when I’m focusing I turn on a Mario Kart music playlist. It gets me all hyped up and more productive too! Glad I’m not the only one who does this haha. If I need a more chill playlist, I typically find a Zelda Ocarina of time one. Both classics

4 Likes

the Card Captor Sakura soundtrack help me a lot when writing and doing things on the laptop, sounds very bossa nova and cheerful. And bjork too, never fails! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes