Nature-inspired memes

That was inspired by a Far Side cartoon:

8 Likes

photo credit and apologies to raffajomanfry — great toad observation! https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/114723999

7 Likes

Threatening? THREATENED to extinction you probably meant, little toadie.

i can haz cheezburger?

1 Like

Wait… Tode??!

Why is Geometridae like this :sob:

10 Likes

I don’t have a seek account BTW. Is it recommendable?

1 Like

Yes! It can be quite beneficial for ID’s. It’s nice to have for myself but I also use it a lot for helping people outside of iNat. Obviously, if I see someone else’s photo shared somewhere like Facebook or Reddit asking for ID help, I can’t just upload it to iNat because it’s not mine. Seek gives me access to iNat’s computer vision without forcing me to steal someone’s photos to use it. It’s very helpful!

4 Likes

You can just use uploader, but not go through actually uploading observation.

Oh yes I suppose that’s true! I usually use mobile for things like that though and I find that iNat’s computer vision loads very slowly on my phone. Seek tends to be a bit faster for me to use.

2 Likes

Well, it depends. It can be helpful, but I have gotten so many misidentifications that just make me think “Where did you get that???”(a quail with white coloring identified as red jungle fowl, a pipefish with brown coloring identified as a trumpetfish with yellow coloring). Oftentimes Seek can only get the domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, or genus(which can narrow down the possible species), but not the species. Or just cannot get an ID altogether. It depends on partly on the picture and largely what you are trying to ID. That has been my experience. I say try it and come to your own conclusion.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Yes, the lower picture is definitely how I see it. Except for one thing: this is the iconic view of Waikiki, and Diamond Head is not a shield volcano; it is a tuff cone, part of a complex of volcanic features.

Also, the bird appears to be Gygis alba, which is certainly not endemic.

29 Likes

I appreciate all of the help I get here so much but some of you scare me a little lol!!

44 Likes

32 Likes

The carpenter bee description had me laughing in History class.

13 Likes

Neither the carpenter nor paper wasp chosen are “yellow stripey” (funny)

Honeybee “is the bee that needs help the most” is categorically false, unless it’s suggesting we stop using them as livestock for commercial agriculture.

Bumblebee “will let you pet it without getting agitated” sounds like a joke, because queens will 100% sting if you bother them (personal experience). Carpenter bees sting too, but no Facebook meme has ever been accurate to science.

12 Likes

Yeah, lol I just thought the descriptions were funny, but I agree, a lot of the stuff like this on social media is innacurate.

1 Like

Wiki: cheese puffs

When somebody asks for your explanation of an ID:

birbs:

Gladsten flag (warning: political meanings in US), memified:

19 Likes

Wait so carpenter bees live in your fence? So that’s why I always saw them next to my fence. They left or something.

1 Like