Nature Walks/Observations during COVID-19

It’s been a while, I still kinda feel bad about the repost. Thank you everyone who discussed though!

Recently travel restrictions went down in my country, so I managed to head over to parks and make some cool observations! Need a better camera though, haha
Sadly the loosened restrictions were immediately met by another wave (sigh),
so back in the house I go, haha

Maybe if I get some money I’d go to some remote place for a two person ecotourism, now I think of it. Since ecotourism typically encourages small groups of less than 5 and is outdoors.

3 Likes

Glad you were able to get some time outdoors before restrictions tightened again. I’m reading this as I wait for some coconut apricot bread to rise. Being at home more has awakened my baking instinct :).

1 Like

Haha, awesome!
I actually managed to find some wild Acraea terpsicore (Tawny Coaster) caterpillars in that time and raise them to adulthood safely. Don’t know where they are now, but it’ll be cool if there happens to be another iNat user in my area and they find one of them, haha

3 Likes

Now wouldn’t it be interesting to see how many observations of SARS-CoV-2 we end up with. Some months ago, someone posted an observation of a mask hung in a tree and IDed it as SARS-CoV-2, but it was quickly changed to “human” on grounds that we do not know if that mask was actually exposed to the virus. What criteria would you need to see to agree with an ID of SARS-CoV-2?

1 Like

Microphoto of viral elements, with tests going positive and negative there’s often a chance virus is not there or it’s another one, so it’d cool if someone with an access to an electron microscope and created some data.

1 Like

I’d consider a photo of someone who tested positive and is symptomatic to be a valid image for covid-19. We allow images of symptoms of viral infections eg in plants, why not for humans? (Other than the fact that we don’t want to invite trolls)

1 Like

Plant viruses are rarely got to such low level and usually it’s because it has a syptom unique for it or other viral infections weren’t found for the host yet (most observations I’ve seen on plants are labelled as “viruses” and usually have discussion if that’s a virus at all). But those covid symptoms that can be seen on photo are the same as in tons of other infections.
I mean, if we want RG level for such observations it’s gonna be very easy to falsify it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.