Needed macro photography?

Hello~
I actually have 2 questions here :hibiscus:

First, for B.C Canada is there anything as suggestions for subjects to look out for as a hobby photographer? I usually try to take shots of anything interesting to myself but I’d like to ask if theres any need for tree’s being documented or anything along these lines? I also have a handheld microscope that can zoom into springtail sized subjects which might be handy for other things? Moss? I try my best to guess what might not be well documented :neutral_face: I’d love to be more useful with what photos I take if folks have suggestions.

Secondly I have a friend in Sweden who has a nice plot of land that is mostly untouched for over a decade. He’s also a hobby photographer and would like ask the same for his case :hibiscus:

1 Like

Lichen! They’re typically overlooked, but “background” organisms like lichen, fungi, mosses etcetera are very important markers of environmental health and more observations of them will always be appreciated. They grow just about everywhere, there’s a huge diversity that’s very easily overlooked, and can be very beautiful.

3 Likes

As in this pretty much :sweat_smile:? lol I had a feeling they’re under-documented.
This might enough of a nudge for me to submit these separately w/Microscope shots I guess?

2 Likes

Lichens are definitely underrepresented! Try to not over collect lichens, they are extraordinarily slow growers and most take years and literal decades to grow.

1 Like

If there is water on the properties, aquatic macroinvertebrates. I’ll DM you the project and website.

1 Like

Ah I had no idea they were that slow growing! You’re making me want to look that up because that’s actually pretty cool! :eyes:

My area just recently had a rough windy storm after a ton of dry weather. All the pieces in that image were loose :blush: I know not to tarnish nature with my grubby human hands lol :hibiscus: If I was a bug/plant I wouldn’t want to be grabbed or poked at either so I rarely “Take away” like that. But the litchen I didn’t know! I’d love to look into that and spread that info to my artist account followers too because I can see why you’re even mentioning this :melting_face: Ohhh I can how that’s a big problem

The smaller sprouts were dug up disturbing as little as possible but decided to leave the hole open since I knew a ton of birds fed there and probably would appreciate scrounging open soil :eyes:.

1 Like

In my experience the groups where you are most likely to find significant discoveries are also the groups where there are the fewest people helping with identifying, for the same reasons. They’re small and obscure so most people don’t notice or care about them.

With small invertebrates like flies or springtails or slugs or tiny water creatures, there’s a decent chance of finding significant new species for your area, but it will also be hard to find anyone who’s experienced enough to identify them. Same thing with mosses and lichens; mine rarely get identified on iNaturalist, but I still keep photographing them though because maybe someone will come along in the future.

3 Likes

Theres no pond but theres a few pots and such that have long lasting still water which I know would have something interesting. I should note my scope isn’t quite the typical one you’re familiar with :microscope:
I know it’s fantastic for less common probably valuable submissions I have submitted many many springtails, dwarf spiders and fungi with this tool although I haven’t pinpointed which sciences would appreciate this the most.

I just went outside now and took example shots

1 Like