Newly Added Species

One of the parts of the “Year in Review” pages I love is the graph showing the steady increase in species observed.

It would be cool if there were a page that listed species not from most- to least-often observed, but by date of first observation, with newly added species at the top. Is there anything like this available now?

I’d even sign up for alerts every time a new species is added…

11 Likes

That would be so cool! I’d add this to feature requests, maybe they’ll add it.

11 Likes

I would also support this! There isn’t nearly enough celebration when a completely new species is added to the growing database. It’s a really important moment.
Perhaps ppl could also sort this for certain locations, so they get alerts when a new species is seen within their state, country, etc.

5 Likes

I too would love to see this. It’s always interesting to see what new species have been found. You can search a”place” and look at the last page of the species list and sort of figure out what’s new but that only works if it’s completely new to iNat and there are no other observations. If it’s only new to that place it gets listed in the order of number of total observations for that species. I’m wondering if you could maybe have some sort of indicator like a star or color coding or some other symbol on the photo for that species that indicates it’s new and have that indicator disappear after a month or so.

2 Likes

I think this feature request will clearly be supported by the community. I am looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Ooh, count me in for a ‘yes, please’ vote.

1 Like

Meanwhile a project for Southern Africa
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/undescribed-species-and-taxa

Not what you intended - but the monthly CV updates are interesting. And those lists you can only find using the dedicated internal links
https://www.inaturalist.org/blog/84723-a-new-computer-vision-model-v2-7-including-1-785-new-taxa

1 Like

Amazing stuff! Those frogs!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.