North American Map

I was curious if anyone knows if there’s a reason why there’s a little blip on the North America map in the Greenland Sea, halfway between Greenland and Svalbard. I know it could be just an error, but if there’s a legitimate reason, I’d be interested in knowing. I couldn’t find an island there on Google Maps, nor does one appear visible on iNaturalist.

Almost certainly an error related to the prime meridian.

see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/north-america-standard-place-place-id-97394-has-a-strange-definition-according-to-api/30045

3 Likes

It may be in the way the tiles overlap.
Google uses WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) or sometimes called WGS 84/Pseudo-Mercator (a variant of the Mercator map projection).
Basically they assume that the Earth is a sphere.

Thanks. That is interesting and it doesn’t seem to have been solved, unfortunately. Nor was the Wake Island problem discussed in any real detail. Hopefully, that’ll get fixed at some point.

@tiwane or one of the staff will have to say whether they looked at the thing at all and whether they determined a problem exists or not. even if there is a problem, it’s possible they won’t make any changes except as part of some future larger effort to update “standard places” (as they did several years back), as it could have a major impact on the way the records are stored in the system.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.