Northern Hemisphere Spring 2019 Phenology Discussion

Spring had already arrived in the Florida panhandle when I went down there the last week of February and the first two days of March. Florida Anise, Spiderworts, Spurge Nettle, Indigo, Wild Comfrey, Silverbell, Carolina Rockrose, Camphorweed, American Olive, Violets, Woodsorrels, Geraniums, Jessamine, Tickseeds, Walter’s Viburnum, Red Buckeye, Waterlilies, the list could go on and on. Dimpled Trout Lilies, Spring Beauties, Corydalis, Blueberries, Golden Ragwort, Antennaria, Virginia Saxifrage, and Slender Toothwort were flowering in SC a week ago. Going back this week or next to see the Trilliums that were already about to bloom when I went and the Miccosukee Gooseberry. Haven’t checked locally in Georgia but the daffodils are already fading so that means more flowers are going to bloom here

1 Like

In SW Ontario, early migrants came back in huge numbers within about 48 hours last week. There are now red-winged blackbirds, killdeer and sparrows everywhere as if they’d never left! There are some early flowers budding - Galanthus, Eranthis hyemalis etc - some are flowering in the warmer microclimates. Looking like a typical spring here.

2 Likes

I am in Middle Tennessee just north of Nashville. In my yard are several species of violet, a few dandelions, and a lot of deadnettles. Our red maple already has some small seeds. Also Forsythia and crabapples although they are planted and would count as casual.

2 Likes

Here in South Korea I came across some flowering Draba nemorosa last week as well as spotting my first flowering dandelion of the year. Based on our cherry blossom forecast for 2019, it looks like another 7-10 days before those start blooming in my area. I’m really looking forward to those and photographing some of the other Prunus flowers that will be appearing soon.

5 Likes

The buds are just starting to swell on the serviceberry here. But I found out the hard way that the snow is still waist deep in some places.

2 Likes

yeah the red and silver maple buds are quite plump and swollen here but as we just got another 9 inches of very dense snow, just when a few bare spots had melted out… no more phenology movement for a while.

1 Like

Would help readers to include where “here” is – just sayin’…

2 Likes

haha sorry i’m in northern Vermont, US

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’m in the Northern Hemisphere, but reading your comments makes me feel like San Diego in Southern California is another planet! There is something in bloom every month and now after unusual quantities of rain this winter, there are way too many plants budding and blooming to even start to list them. I sometimes forget how lucky I am to live here.

4 Likes

Good point :joy: I’m in Bozeman Montana.

1 Like

back here in rural Mid-Hudson valley, NY around 300 or so feet in elevation: seedlings sprouting and small signs of fresh growth on mature plants in Lamiaceae in sun-warmed areas. Buds on viburnums, maples, chestnut and a few other types of oaks, black cherry making progress but slow-going. Plenty of invasives like queen anne’s lace and multi-flora rose (ugh!) waking up and growing. First dandelion in flower today. Garden cultivars are perking up too and showing green on buds and crocus, while in bloom this time last year, is still barely showing its buds. My favorite fauna highlight of the day, sorry off topic, was the hooded mergs hunting, wrestling and eating crayfish in small ice-free openings in the swampy shallows then waddling awkwardly on the ice to the more open water next to a less common but almost as exciting visiting pair of ring-necked ducks.

EDIT: soon after writing this, I pulled my first tick of the season off my leg. That was after checking twice previously. Adult, Black-legged tick. Boo, hiss!

4 Likes

As expected, northern Pennsylvania is pretty bleak. The goldfinches are donning their spring colors, and some bushes have buds. A few tulips and daffodils are beginning to sprout, but mostly it’s the promise of spring still without much to suggest fulfillment. The days are longer; the sky is bluer, but we need the warmer weather to really set off the bloom and buzz of the season.

1 Like

Things are picking up in the microclimates created by the gorges draining into Lake Erie in my corner of western NY state. Carex plantaginea and pedunculata are putting up fertile shoots, Sharp-lobed hepatica is starting to flower, there’s a haze of red tinging red maple stands, and yes, the deer ticks are apparently hungry.

1 Like

Interesting choice of words there.

4 Likes

Here in Vermont on the icy northern fringe of the US (near the warm southern banana belt of Quebec?) we were still getting snow and ice as recently as yesterday and were in the 20s last night. Thus still no flowers whatsoever except some snowdrops i found in a place where a south facing wall of windows creates a super warm microclimate. There are a few insects stirring, but only a small few.

2 Likes

I cheated and headed south to western NC for an early taste of spring. The last time I did this (in 2017) it was a warm spring and when I came back to southern Ontario the ephemerals were flowering here. This year not so much, but a few Hepaticas are blooming in the warmer microclimates and squills and other exotics are flowering in the gardens.

Anyways here’s a taste of spring for us northerners, mountain silverbell (Halesia tetraptera) in Pisgah National Forest, North Carolina:

4 Likes

Just returned from a week in beautiful Anza Borrego State Park in southern California. Amazing desert environment with many endemic species. 2,700 pix later… lol.

Came back to snow in lower Michigan, but the pussywillows are in bloom, the forsythia look a little less dead, and the snowdrops are almost done. So it is just possible that spring may be on its way!

Lots happening here…in sunny areas viburnums are showing leaves just breaking through, solidagos, rudbeckia, herb robert, pokeweed, oaks, maples waking up and showing signs of growth/ flowering

On the cultivated side: hyacinths and daffodils are having their lovely moment and the forsythias have begun to bloom, monarda didyma. rudbeckia hirta, echinacea, gallardia, azaleas (all cultivated) have new green growth and things like dicentra and peonies, phlox subulata etc. all right on time and leaves just started expanding out yesterday.

Lots of fauna but I’ll leave that for another topic!

1 Like

Here in Central Pennsylvania we have lots of bittercress, periwinkle, hepatica,chickweed, speedwell, and bloodroot that have been blooming for nearly two weeks now. The crocuses are gone, and the skunk cabbage leaves are growing big, but the forsythias are in full bloom. Just joining the parade are violets, grape hyacinths, lungwort, whitlow grass, and the very first of the buttercups and garlic mustard. The pace will probably pick up soon as we have just had another first, the first (two) thunderstorms of the year. I hope to find early meadow rue blooming soon, and pick some wild asparagus as well.

2 Likes

I was gone for 4 weeks in the tropics but back to NYC for a week now. It’s already April 20th, and we have had some warm weather, especially over the last week, so what with the City Nature Challenge coming up in less than a week, I took a walk around my neighborhood to see what I could find.

I must say I was shocked how few weeds are up, even in some areas that will be plastered with weeds in a month or so.

It is tough trying to do well with the City Nature Challenge when your city is this far north!