Notifications on iNaturalist - Please Share Your Ideas!

And also unread?

6 Likes

Yup, both.

6 Likes

Looking forward to “all notifications” page! Hope period of time it remains present for is a good length… It would be really useful to come back to and find comments / conversations…or even save them so they don’t leave the notifications page.

Could be useful to be able to sort by date, or sort by kind to be able to split comments from ID changes for clarity maybe also ( depending on design ).

3 Likes

Are the header notifications the ones under the “speech bubble” icon in the top right corner of the page ribbon, or the ones in the tab labeled “Home” on the main page after you log in?

2 Likes

They’re the ones under the “speech bubble”.

3 Likes

Thank you. I was confused because neither area really seemed to be a header.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem to be one notification per resource for me, if we are talking about the “speech bubble” notification area as @jwidness stated . It does seem to be only one in the Home tab.
E.g. This is what I saw just this morning, where someone is filling out observation fields on an observation I am following:

1 Like

the changes haven’t been implemented yet. looking forward to it!

6 Likes

Ah, that explains it!

2 Likes

Also, I didn’t blur or redact anything in the screen shot, because no one was doing anything wrong, so it wasn’t “calling somebody out”. Is that ok, or should I still edit it?

2 Likes

No worries! It’s really only an issue when people are doing something “wrong”. Thanks for thinking of it.

2 Likes

@star3 I wish it was already live on the site! No, now is the hard part of coding these changes to functionality and making sure the proposed user interface changes (the way notifications are displayed, etc) work with them, so that will take a while, alas.

4 Likes

Of course! Sorry for misinterpreting the timeline on this announcement.

1 Like

No worries!

2 Likes

Oof this might be too late but maybe it’s been suggested already or it’s planned. I would appreciate a notification something like

• user identified 7 observations that you previously identified
    or
  • user agreed to your identification on 7 observations

And then clicking on the notification would show me a list of the observations affected.
I don’t have agreeing ID notifications turned off because I appreciate seeing when people are agreeing to my IDs (whether that’s the observer immediately agreeing or another identifier going through) but because of that I never click on ID notifications (I look at all comment and mention notifs) which means I miss some ID notifications that I should probably review. Sometimes another user will review a taxon I’ve reviewed before and I’ll get hundreds of notifications in a day. I’d like to know that that happened but I don’t want to miss any other activity that happened among it.

4 Likes

Re: the DQA, is that on votes only, or other aspects?

eg if an observation is missing some aspect needed for RG (like date, location, or photo/audio), but there were no DQA votes re: evidence, or inaccurate location or date since the observation can’t get to RG anyway, and then observer went back later and added those missing bits of info

2 Likes

Wow, this will be an extremely useful notification system. Kudos to the coders who are working on this.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this won’t be part of it, as notifications will revolve around resources (observations, journal posts) and not the activity of another user. But you should be able to filter through all of your recent notifications on the All Notifications screen.

It should be any change in the observation’s quality label, so not just DQA votes.

OK, I’m going to close this topic. Thanks for all of your input!

7 Likes

Have gotten a few requests for updates about this, however there’s not much news - we’re still grinding away at it and can’t really give an estimate as to when it will be released. There are a lot of moving parts here with design, coding, infrastructure, etc.

12 Likes