Obs with only subspecies IDs can get stuck without a CID

I don’t know if this might have the same root cause as a previously reported bug, and I can’t figure out how to replicate, but I’m hoping maybe someone else has ideas.

I’ve noticed now with two separate taxa that some observations are stuck in Needs ID when they shouldn’t be. In the first case, I made a taxon change that involved moving around subspecies and I inactivated some during the re-grafting process. Once I re-activated them, observations that had two agreeing subspecies level IDs were left at Needs ID. But if any ID on the observation was species level, it was correctly in RG. I came across a second case today. There was a subspecies already in the taxonomy that had a few IDs but was inexplicably inactive. I activated the subspecies, but some observations with only subspecies IDs were still Needs ID.
I tried to replicate, but always ended up with RG.

I should add that in these cases, the observations claim to have no Community Taxon.

2 Likes

Jane, i may just guess in concern of the logic reason to this error, but i got to suppose it is correlated with this Intentional Malfunction of ID processing.
As mentioned at linked feature request, such stuck at Needs ID treatment is the least trouble perhaps caused by that. Many obss. stay at high taxonomic ID level, as e.g. “Vascular Plants” since suppressing of single infraspecific IDs.
So this !NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED! but not discussed without any solution.

That’s not the problem. First, because that doesn’t apply to observations with only subspecies IDs, and second because some of these observations were RG at subspecies before switching to Needs ID due to this bug.

1 Like

I figured out how to reproduce this bug:

Make a new inactive species-level taxon.
Take a subspecies-level taxon and make it inactive.
Graft that inactive subspecies to the inactive species.

Now observations of that subspecies that only had subspecies IDs claim to have no CID. Turning the taxa active again won’t fix it, and re-indexing doesn’t work.

1 Like

thanks for figuring out how to reproduce jane - investigating…

2 Likes

Jane I wasn’t able to replicate this with your steps:
Make a new inactive species-level taxon: Ensatina tempii
Take a subspecies-level taxon and make it inactive: Ensatina eschscholtzii ssp. croceater
Graft that inactive subspecies to the inactive species: Ensatina tempii
Now observations of that subspecies that only had subspecies IDs claim to have no CID.
www.inaturalist.org/observations/36842660 still has a CID of Ensatina eschscholtzii ssp. croceater

Can you tell me the exact taxa you were able to reproduce this with?

I did a bunch more testing and got it to reproduce six more times. Four times the observations immediately lost CID when the subspecies was re-grafted. Twice they didn’t immediately lose CID, but after a few minutes of waiting it was gone. This was one where it didn’t immediately lose CID (probably should have taken the screenshot then, oops), but the CID was gone after some waiting:

I couldn’t find anything to reliably predict whether the CID would disappear immediately vs after a small delay. I found no observations that still had a CID after a few minutes of waiting.

I compared info from two real observations.

Observation 1:
ssp 1 ID
ssp 1 ID
ssp 1 ID
ssp 1 ID
ssp re-grafted, CID lost
5th ssp 1 ID added, CID returned

Observation 2:
ssp 1 ID
ssp 1 ID
ssp re-grafted, CID lost

There are a few differences between these observations. Each ID on the second observation has "disagreement": null, while the IDs on the first observation have "disagreement": false. The second observation has "num_identification_agreements": 0, while the first observation has "num_identification_agreements": 4. And the second observation has "community_taxon_id": null, while the first observation has the community taxon ID correctly set (I don’t want to give away the taxon number during testing).

Hi Jane - I just tried:

1. added an ID to https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/8803155 to ‘repair it’
  2. grafted it to C. angolensis
  3. confirmed CID updated but not broken
  4. grafted it back to C. guereza
  5. confirmed CID updated but not broken

Can you provide steps to reproduce this using specific taxa and steps like I’ve included above? Once I can reproduce this I can fix it, but I don’t think I have the correct steps/taxa since I still can’t reproduce it

I’m pretty sure the species and subspecies need to be inactive – at least the one time I tried it with active taxa it didn’t work. It also sometimes takes a few minutes to process.

This reproduced for me just now:
Make C. guereza occidentalis inactive
Graft C. guereza occidentalis to old inactive C. guereza (43527) – I’m sure C. angolensis would work too, but I just used C. guereza because it was already inactive
Wait 5 minutes, CID is lost

I’m not sure if this could possibly be helpful, but for a short while before it lost CID, it showed this:

1 Like

thanks - will try that

ok I was able to reproduce and I think I have a fix https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/pull/2804 thanks!

2 Likes

This fix is now deployed - so fingers crossed this won’t happen again but keep an eye out for it

3 Likes