Observation taxon 'unknown' when observer id withdrawn

Platform (Website)
Browser, if a website issue (Chrome)
URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/16030466

Description of problem:
Observer has specified and later withdrawn a single id.
Identifier has offered a second id, which I would expect to see as Observation taxon.
However, Observation taxon is listed as Unknown
Interestingly, in these two cases the identifier’s id is listed as the Placeholder - which seems a bit unlikely as it differs from the observer’s withdrawn id. Perhaps, following the second person’s identification, could the observer have added a new Placeholder using the app?

In another example, I added an additional (higher taxon) identification and this then appeared as the Observation Taxon - https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/15969888

There was an indexing error – somehow the observations failed to update correctly at some point. I checked and unchecked something in the DQA to fix it, but it’s generally pretty hard to figure out why some observations need to be re-indexed, especially long after the fact. If you see the same thing (or something similar) in the future, forcing the observation to re-index will often fix the problem.


Oops, I just looked at this one. Adding an ID is another way to force a re-index, so that sort of did what you want except that in your description you said you didn’t want to disagree with Naso, but your ID actually did disagree with Naso. Withdrawing your ID should return the observation ID to Naso rather than to unknown.