Observations Being Left at Higher Taxon Level

As @sgene explained above, the “Display ID”, as you call it, always lower the taxon rank unless it is subspecific. Let’s say someone identifies an obs as “Birds” or Class Aves. I identified it as Red-shafted Flicker (Colaptes auratus cafer) but the display or community id will stay at “Birds”. If I were to instead, identify the species to just Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) then the community id lowers to species level. The reason I’m concerned about high level taxon ids is because this obs usually fall into a rut of not being identified.

And when I meant by double standard, prior to March 2019, just like any other species taxon, a subspecies must get 2-3 identifications at the same taxon level in order to be research graded. After the abovementioned time, any subspecific id can receive RG even if the identifier submits a subspecies level id. Let’s use the flicker example again. The observer submits it as a Red-shafted Flicker but the identifier submits a Northern Flicker id. Since species is a higher taxon level, he’ll receive that little note. Here’s the results of the buttons:

I don’t know but I’m sure this is (taxon) --> Obs will become RG at subspecies level
No, but it is a member of (taxon) --> Obs becomes RG at species level.

Yet if submit a species id and identifier submits a genus level id, saying “I don’t know” will level the obs “Needing ID” at species level. Pretty much what I’m trying to say is, these rules that don’t comply with the entire spectrum of the taxon level is buggy and should be fixed.