Observations of some genera of Nerioidea appearing while searching for Diopsoidea

We don’t need another bug report. It might be helpful to have all of the current reports merged and renamed because it’s the same issue. Flagging taxa as needing to be refreshed would probably work best.

As for this issue, inactivating and reactivating is unrealistic because this process involves inactivating any children first. When dealing with large insect genera and families, that’s just not practical.

Luckily, I’ve found a much better solution: edit something else and save the taxon (tried for Sybra, Moechotypa, Centrodera, Sternidius, Anelaphus, Pterolophia, and Anomophysis). The best thing I found is to make an edit (such as turning off the Wikipedia link), but then you have to go back in and change it back. It also works in a matter of minutes instead of hours, but taxa with more listed observations take longer.

Maybe there’s a way where nothing has to be undone and it only takes one iteration of “edit, save”. Refreshing the parent or Wikipedia links doesn’t work though.

Note, I’m using lrank=complex to view the problematic (sub)genera.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?subview=map&view=species&taxon_id=176269&lrank=complex (currently seeing 922 “species”)
I’m wondering if there’s a way to search for observations in mutually exclusive groups, which shouldn’t happen, but is what’s happening here. This doesn’t work though:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?subview=map&view=species&taxon_id=176269,47961
Such a search would be helpful for finding out of place taxa. I can mostly pick out cerambycids from chrysomelids from the taxon photos, but it would be nice to not have to look through 900+ pictures (only 500 at a time I suppose though).

As for the difference in observation numbers, I wonder if only one species is causing the genus to show up. Take Oncideres for example, which is showing up with 6 observations under Chrysomeloidea. It has 1 species with 6 observations, O. germarii. Trying this same process for that species doesn’t make the genus disappear though.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like trying this with parent taxa fixes their children either. I tried for the family and a tribe and nothing changed.

If anyone more familiar with beetle genera wanted to make a list of affected taxa, curators could go through and edit them to make them go away.