Observed locations seem to have moved on the map when saved

Some of my observations when accurately located on the map have moved when saved and are as much as 15km from the observed location. How can this be prevented?

welcome to the forum

can you please provide some links to examples so it’s easier to diagnose the problem

Here are the links: All these observations are in Maple Creek, but have moved after I saved them.

Morning-glory Plume Moth (Emmelina monodactyla) on August 19, 2023 by Charles Kuss · iNaturalist

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) on May 06, 2023 by Charles Kuss · iNaturalist

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) on July 23, 2023 at 12:48 PM by Charles Kuss · iNaturalist

White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) on May 06, 2023 by Charles Kuss. White-throated sparrow-left, and White-crowned sparrow-right. · iNaturalist

Location is set to Obscured. Are you looking at individual observations? Because the location is going to be randomized within the 15km block when looking at a collection of observations, even for your own observations.

I was looking at individual observations that were made in Maple Creek. The reason why I chose obscured as the location is that they were in my yard and not in a public area.

If 15 km block area is acceptable as a location, then I’m happy with it.

If you can’t see the location at your yard when you open a single observation, that’s a problem. 15km is fine for the rest of us, it’s your decision. You can trust specific users or projects if you like and they’ll be able to see the true location, but that another decision.

Thanks for your assistance. I’ll try changing the location from obscured to public and see if that makes a difference.

I’ve changed the location setting from obscure to open. That did the trick. As you mentioned the plots are still randomized on the map but the location now shows Maple Creek. In the Cypress Hills area, we go from a more alpine environment to more foothills to prairie over a short distance and 15 km can make quite a niche difference for some species.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.