Wrong location for my observations on explore

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:
Explore page with bounding box
Individual observation

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):
Explore page:

Individual observation:

Hi everyone, my issue is as follows. When looking at the individual observation, the location shown on the map is correct, but when I search by the species and look on he explore maps, the observation is shown a few kilometres away. This is frustrating as it prevents me from searching for observations in a given area, since some observations that are there won’t come up. I’ve noticed this with some of my other observations too. Thanks in advance.

Step 1: View location on map of individual observation

Step 2: On explore page, search for Eucalyptus fulgens in location Victoria, Australia.

Step 3: Zoom to where most of the observations are - the town Emerald will be near the centre of the observations.

Step 4: Note that the location for my observation on this map is in Cockatoo, not Emerald.

It is an automatically obscured observation of endangered species, if you click on more under the map there’s an explanation why coordinates are obscured. You can’t search them for true location, but if you need to have all your observations from one location together, you can create a traditional project where you add those manually, if you think taxon shouldn’t be obscured, you can add a flag on taxon page for curators.

2 Likes

welcome to the forum

The behaviour for this case is intended. Your observation is of a species for which locations are auto-obscured due to its conservation status. When you’re looking at the individual observation page, you can see the true location because it’s your own observation. On the explore page, where all observations are shown, you are seeing the obscured location.

As a side note, this species shouldn’t be obscured given the nature of the threats facing it, so I’ll unobscure it now

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick response! That makes a lot of sense, I’d also seen the same thing happening with E. cephalocarpa, which is classified as vulnerable. Would it be possible to also get that species unobscured for the same reasons?

1 Like

yes, done. If you encounter more of these, feel free to message me on iNat or flag them directly there

1 Like