Online translator?

Periodically I will check Europe, Asia, ect, for North American Bumble Bees, and correct them leaving a note saying that the one they selected is a North American species. Usually they change it, and sometimes I get a thanks in another language, but recently, I corrected someone from Denmark that they’re chosen bee was from South America and left a commented alternative, and I got a response back in Danish which translated as something like “but it was so large”. So I figured he either; couldn’t read English, or Missed the whole wrong continent thing, or he did understand and had questions. I typed up a response in an online translator, but if it comes up again, is there a good (preferably free) online translator that someone wants to recommend? Thanks

https://www.deepl.com/translator
Is not too bad.

2 Likes

“Any language”

Has 10 options of predominately European languages and the auto-detect mis-assigns the language if it’s not one of those 10, rather than saying something like, “this doesn’t match our language options.”

1 Like

You can also write, in your own language - and they can use their chosen translator.
I am on Chrome and rightclick for ‘translate to English’ when I need to.

1 Like

Google translate does a pretty good job, especially if you take care to write in reasonably straightforward English and avoid the use of colloquialisms. I’ve been using it a lot for English-Spanish translation in another context, and I’m pleasantly surprised by how much it’s improved compared to a couple of years ago.

3 Likes

10 European languages is because machine translation uses what is available on the internet. All those back to back translations for the EU are a goldmine. Step away to a language like Afrikaans, and the autotranslate sweats blood.

3 Likes

Was about to recomment the same. Deepl does a quite good job, I think it is better than Google translate.

1 Like

Papago is my recommendation for translating between Korean and English. Much better than Google Translate at the moment (perhaps not a surprise since Papago is being developed by a Korean company) but I can’t vouch for how well it does with other languages.

2 Likes

I work in Vietnam. You should see what a mess machine translation makes of the language. Even OCR software can’t handle it due to the diacritical.

Software has more trouble with Vietnamese than it does with Chinese or Japanese.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.