Page title on observation detail page does not follow local common name preferences

Platform : Website
Browser : Firefox 84.0.1
URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: For example, choose any observation here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?taxon_id=981

Screenshots of what you are seeing :

Description of problem :
The common name displayed in the tab’s title bar for Phasianus colchicus does not match the name displayed on the page. i.e. ‘Ring-necked Pheasant’ vs ‘Common Pheasant’. The problem may apply to other taxa but I haven’t been able to confirm it.

Step 1:
It could be a language display issue so select these language/display settings in account/profile settings:

Locale: English
Prioritize common names used in this place: United Kingdom
Show common names: Yes (ticked).
Show scientific names first: No (unticked).

Step 2:
Click any observation here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?taxon_id=981

Step 3:
Compare title bar and page and notice difference in common name used.

3 Likes

Looking at the page for the taxon ( https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/981-Phasianus-colchicus ) I see that both of these are listed under English as common names for this bird, as are two more. I don’t know how the system prioritises which common name to use in this situation, but it appears the method for the title bar and the page itself are different.

I noticed that too, when you open observation of Strix uralensis main Russian name is Длиннохвостая неясыть, but webpage says it’s Уральская неясыть.

Common Pheasant is prioritized for the UK, so that’s why it would show up for you when you look at observations.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.19.54 PM

I suppose it shows the default name on the tab (apparently Ring-necked Pheasant), but I’m not sure where that’s decided. I don’t have this problem because all observations appear as Ring-necked Pheasants to me.

Thanks everyone. I assumed it was something to do with language preferences but I couldn’t find another species to confirm it!

Platform

Website

Browser

All of them: Firefox, Chrome, Edge, etc… (It’s not a problem with the browser; it’s the HTML that iNaturalist is serving.)

URLs

See explanation below.

Screenshots of what you are seeing

Description of problem

The iNaturalist website is designed to display different local names to accord with regional variations:

The language and Place preferences in your account settings will change how common names are displayed on the site.

I have my language and place preferences set for Canada. (i.e. “Prioritize common names used in this place”)

For the most part this works, however I noticed that although all of the places where the local name are displayed within a page will match, the <title> element, and thus browser tabs, or bookmarked observations, often contain the wrong name for my locality. This issue can be observed on *.ca and *.org when I am logged (with preference set to “Canada”) in and only on the *.ca domain when logged out.

Example 1

I have an observation that I added recently, for Xestia c-nigrum:

On these I see two names:

1. Lesser Black-letter Dart (the name show on iNaturalist.ca)
  2. Setaceous Hebrew Character (that appears to be the global or US name for the moth)

When I am logged in, both the *.ca and the *.org sites show the same pattern. The observation page’s <title> gives the following:

<title>Setaceous Hebrew Character (Xestia c-nigrum) from Kamloops, BC, Canada on May 27, 2021 at 12:30 AM by Jeffrey Murphy.

Seen at night outside; attracted to the light. 
 ·  iNaturalist.ca </title>

Further down in the HTML file, there is the data for the other name displayed, as shown at the top of the page and in the screenshot:

<span title="Lesser Black-letter Dart (Xestia c-nigrum)" class="SplitTaxon taxon species Insecta has-com-name parens">
  <a class="comname display-name " href="/taxa/203342" target="_self">
    Lesser Black-letter Dart
  </a> 
  <a class="sciname species secondary-name" href="/taxa/203342" target="_self">
    Xestia c-nigrum
  </a>
</span>

Example 2

The same problem also occurs with observations of Clintonia uniflora:

Here’s the <title> element from that page:

<title>Bride's Bonnet (Clintonia uniflora) from Pinecone Burke, Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, 
Canada on May 15, 2021 at 12:46 PM by John D Reynolds.

Burke Mountain Regional Park, BC, Canada
 ·  iNaturalist </title>

Elsewhere the name remains correct: <span title="Queen's Cup (Clintonia uniflora)" class="SplitTaxon taxon species Plantae has-com-name parens"><a class="comname display-name " href="/taxa/76401" target="_self">Queen's Cup</a> <a class="sciname species secondary-name" href="/taxa/76401" target="_self">Clintonia uniflora</a></span>

Taxon Pages

The issue appears to affect the <title> elements on all observation pages, however it does not affect taxon pages, e.g. Lesser Black-letter Dart (Xestia c-nigrum) has the following: <title>Lesser Black-letter Dart (Xestia c-nigrum) · iNaturalist </title>, both on the *.ca and *.org when I am logged (as expected) in and only on the *.ca domain when logged out (as expected).

Problem Duration

That moth observation just reminded me to finally write up a description of the issue, however it’s an issue that has been around for several months at least and probably longer. I first noticed it last fall, after updating the name of Clintonia uniflora.

Also sometimes a problem on taxon pages. Here the account is in English, affiliated with iNat Luxembourg, and preferred names place Norway. The .org title matches the name on the taxon page, the .lu title doesn’t.

hi @murphyslab, I moved your post to the existing topic for this bug

Thanks. I’d searched for other posts but couldn’t find anything.