Web version not showing the Common English Names

Issue in Summary : While logged into to my inaturalist account, via my Brave Browser, on Linux Mint the observations are only displaying the Scientific Name and rendering the dates in Hindi. Even though my settings are to display Common Name (& Scientific Name) for Locale India (Country)

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): - Website accessed via Brave Browser - on Linux Mint 20 Ulyana

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : BRAVE BROWSER
Version 1.32.115 Chromium: 96.0.4664.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: This is for all observations that i access

Screenshots of what you are seeing - Screenshots are attached Below

Description of problem :

The names of organisms are only showing up with Scientific names . No common names (or even Hindia) in English(India) are showing up

Further the dates are getting rendered in Hindi.

Have attached screenshots of an observation where only the scientific name is appearing in the Brave Browser while I am logged in

My settings, in Content and Display are : Common Name (Scientific Name)
with India (Country) set for the Prioritize common names used in this place.


1 Display of an observation while logged in

2 Display of the observation from a browser while not logged in

3 Screenshot of settings

Screenshot at 2021-12-28 11-14-59

Kindly help ,
thank you


I guess if there is no common name for the bird it shows no name?
It works for my language cause the bird has a Dutch common name.

1 Like

How does it look with species that has local name? Is it not working then?

Apologies for the confusion

but the web interface does not shoiw the common english name

as in Dendrocitta formosae should show “Grey Treepie” even for English (India)

Another example is this one

in a browser – not logged in

This shows the Common English Name

in the browser that I have logged into

this Does not show the Common English Name

Also note the rendering of the dates - in the logged in browser it is in Hindi and in the unlogged in browser it is in English

This is an observation in which there is a Common English local name

Observation - https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/103577390

Logged in browser

This does render the Common Local Name as setup for India

from browser not logged in

This shows the local name as set up for India and the english date time format

Am fairly sure the common name exists and showed up / shows up.

Not sure what the bug is.

I did try and "add " the common name to English, India and this is the error message

@ram_k Weirdly I see that our system has your locale set as Hindi but we don’t actually support Hindi (neither the website or app have been translated into Hindi). I suspect that’s what’s causing these issues, although I’m not sure how your account setting got there in the first place.

When you go to the Account Settings page of your account, what do you see for Language/Locale?

1 Like

OK, I can replicate. We allow you to choose Hindi (or at least it shows up as hi if I look at my account info in the staff-only user curation page) as an option in our Android app even though the app has only been about 2% translated into Hindi. I’m not sure why we allow you to choose Hindi there, I’ll inquire. Anyway, if I select Hindi as my language in the Android app, I still see English on my Account Settings page on the web but my user info shows hi. I can then replicate the time display and common names issues here.

Our website has been 0% translated into Hindi and it’s not an option there, and the system seems to be getting confused by the hi setting from the app. If you go to the Android app and choose English as your language then reload those pages (eg https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/103466471) on the website do the proper names appear?

1 Like

Thanks, am pretty sure I have not (and would very rarely) selected Hindi – knowing the state of Hindi translation

However I checked the language settings on my android phone iNaturalist app - and it was set to use device language settings (which is also set to English) and changed that to English. So normal service is restored.

Am still unsure why inaturalist should have picked up Device settings and started using Hindi even though my phone settings are set to use English

Only good thing is “normality” is restored


1 Like

Wow, that’s weird! Yeah, I’m not sure how your account got into that state but I do see en for your account now. We should remove Hindi and any other similarly untranslated languages from the app.

1 Like