Place-New York City doesn't work

In the list of “PLACES” there are a bunch of “New York City” listings and they all look great. But if you search for My Observations and narrow down to Place: New York City, it selects all of New York state. There seems to be no way to narrow down correctly to NYC in the My Observations part of the site.

Yes one can work around it by going first to the places list and selecting the correct place, then narrowing the search to just my observations. But this is more time-consuming and counterintuitive. The normal way of finding observations in a place should work for NYC.

In regular search Google places are used, if they don’t fit your needs - open filters and choose a place there.

3 Likes

Hi @steven-cyclist - can you provide screenshots and URLs to help explain the issue you are running into?

If you use the place filter as Melodi suggested on the Your Observations page (https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&user_id=steven-cyclist&verifiable=any), you can narrow down to New York City:

The “Location” search at the top right uses Google Maps search, which can give unexpected results. iNaturalist has little control over their dropdown suggestions. Whereas the Place filter uses place boundaries entered into the iNaturalist database.

6 Likes

Searching for all user observations, entering New York City displays a correct location on both Explore and Identify. Searching My Observations and selecting New York City on Explore somehow shows New York state. @bouteloua’s solution to use Filter does work, although the poster is also correct that initially from Explore the mismatch occurs (could it be anything to do with similar names? e.g. NY, US vs. NY, NY).