Plans for 2019 Clements bird taxonomy updates

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/are-pteridophytes-considered-to-be-under-a-taxon-framework-with-an-api/9128 It’s mostly about the specifics of what I do to curate ferns than the broader issues for iNaturalist curation.

I do have some misgivings about the amount of time I’ve put into fern atlases (World Ferns has been incredibly helpful here, although I do try to cross-check against the secondary literature I have on hand), and what use will be made of them in the future, given the breakage of the atlas marking feature. However, the atlas documentation suggests that this is how iNaturalist plans to move forward in managing taxa and their circumscriptions, and they do interoperate just fine with lists. On the other hand, if you’re maintaining good lists of your taxa, than setting up atlases in the future should be very easy: just create one, switch it active, and the correct countries are already loaded. So I wouldn’t take on the extra overhead of creating spider atlases yet unless we get some explicit guidance that this is a good thing (or unless they’re going to help you manage observations in a taxon split).

1 Like