Progress Chart Indicates Inconsistent Count/Percentage in Different Views

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Firefox 119.0

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: I used https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?reviewed=true&quality_grade=casual%2Cneeds_id%2Cresearch&list_id=4416253 but I believe it can be replicated with any Identify URL.

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

I have an Identify URL/query that currently encompasses 232 observations – 110 of them are reviewed and 122 of them are unreviewed.

When my filter is set to show both reviewed and unreviewed observations, the progress chart tells me that I’ve reviewed 110 observations out of a total of 232 and appropriately indicates I’m about halfway through this set of observations. This makes sense.

When my filter is set to show reviewed observations only, the progress chart tells me that I’ve reviewed 110 observations out of a total of 110 and that I’m all the way through this set of observations. This makes sense, in a way.

When my filter is set to show unreviewed observations only, the progress chart tells me that I’ve reviewed 110 observations out of a total of 122 and that I’m about 90% of the way through this set of observations. Given the behavior of the other filters, this doesn’t add up.

If it’s expected that the progress chart update to encompass the scope of your filter (which I imagine is the expectation), I would expect when viewing only unreviewed observations and I haven’t reviewed any since initially loading the set/page, that the progress chart would indicate that I’ve reviewed 0 of 122 observations and the progress bar should be at 0%.

Having said that, it seems (to me at least) like it would be more helpful were the progress chart to not change it’s range in this way at all. It seems like it should indicate 232 observations in the right-hand section of the progress bar, as well as “110 observations reviewed” above the bar, and the bar should be about 50% filled out, regardless of my reviewed/unreviewed view. Then I could actually see my progress through a particular set of observations as I went along ID’ing observations within the set (without flipping back to viewing both unreviewed and reviewed in order to do so). However, I can also understand reasoning points supporting the view that it should behave as it is currently (less the bug I’m reporting here).