Project Curator Tools: Suitable vs Unsuitable Observations

I maintain a small, geofenced, biodiversity project of which most all of the observations were submitted by myself, so I haven’t really done much in the way of curation from a management of data quality standpoint. I see that under “Project Curator Tools” for my project, there are links to “Find Suitable Observations” and “Find Unsuitable Observations”. I’ve tried to search the iNat documentation, forums, and even asked my buddy, Google (he knows stuff), and can’t seem to find an explanation of exactly what the differentiating criteria for these are… and I’m curious.

Are there any iNat gurus out there willing to shed some light on this for me? I sure would appreciate the schoolin’…

Thank you and kind regards,
Clayton

1 Like

If you have specified any “rules” (filter criteria) for the observations that can be included in an iNaturalist project, these tools simply find observations that do or do not meet the “rule set” for that project.

Those who have used these tools more can refine my response further I’m sure. But I believe for finding suitable observations, it only looks for observations not already included in the project. What I don’t know is whether finding unsuitable observations looks only at observations already in the project. That’s what I would expect, since not limiting it that way would potentially return a very large and irrelevant result set.

I appreciate the response. I haven’t set up any “rules” other than the geographic location of the observation has to be within the boundary of the project area. I’ll go poke around some more with it.

Thank you, again.
Cheers!
/c

That would constitute your rule set then, for puposes of those curator tools.

Then I’m not sure why observations clearly within the boundary show up in the returned results of “Find Unsuitable Observations”.

For example… the project contains 1768 observations (692 species currently) and “Find Suitable Observations” returns 3 entries.

It’s not that big a deal… I just don’t understand the criteria/classification being applied when I apply that search.

Thanks,
Clayton

I think you may find your answer here:
https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/help#placeindex

It likely has to do with either automatic obscuration, or large uncertainty circles, for those observations. Because they are your own observations, you would not notice any automatically applied obscuration – they would look like any other precisely located observation, but might still get excluded from the project for the reasons described in the above link.

I think you may find your answer here:
https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/help#placeindex

Thank you. This is helpful. The project boundary encompasses 6 [rectagular] acres… perhaps that simply isn’t large enough for a bounded project.

Thanks again!
/c

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.