Project observations not showing

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): website

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/nw-atbi

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): i am logged into my account. It shows 37 observations and 31 sp. I know that there are over 500 observations and 300 sp. sometimes it shows the correct number, sometimes it doesn’t. the android app currently shows the larger numbers. I’m wondering if this is because the observations are obscured. Is it possible to obscure all observations made within the location automatically? The location is a culturally significant Native American Tribal Mound and wetland. I work for the Tribe.

Step 1: go to project

Step 2: that’s all.

Step 3: Thanks in advance!

Are there particular pages that show the correct numbers? Is there anything in common between the times when it shows correctly?

If you are logged in and have permission to see the obscured locations, then it should show all of the observations to you.

No. I think this was discussed previously, but a quick search didn’t find it.

1 Like

I agree that this seems like an issue with obscuration. Because the project is limited to just members and you have a fairly small location, you could also consider a traditional project to which you could add observations manually. Because the area is pretty small, obscuration doesn’t get you much protection as it will be fairly easy to tell the location of organisms in the project.

1 Like

Are there particular pages that show the correct numbers? Is there anything in common between the times when it shows correctly?

No. But I logged out and back in, waited an hour, and refreshed the screen and it populated. I think maybe I need to clear my cache.

No. I think this was discussed previously, but a quick search didn’t find it.

Thanks for searching. I didn’t find anything either, but sometimes others are more successful at choosing search terms.

this may be a really dumb question, but… if i create a new traditional project, what settings would you recommend (can i pm you with details of my goals?) and would i just go through the current project and add the observations to the traditional project one at a time, or is there a shortcut?

Is the issue with the different counts dependent on whether you are logged in or not? You can test this by accessing the project page while logged in, and then in an incognito/private instance. If this is the case, then the discrepancy may be due to you having permission to see obscured coordinates (either based on you being admin or because you made the observations) while other users cannot see those. For instance, I only see 37 observations in the project which aren’t obscured.

So I think the broader question would be: is your project primarily for display to other people? Or is it a convenient way for you to collect observations and their data from other people and you don’t care so much about displaying the info for other users? This will probably determine the way you want to set things up.

It is for me. I do need to find those 37 observations and have the user obscure them also.