Question about the Psittacula krameri presence in France

Hello.

I know that in many French cities, Psittacula krameri fly freely and in large numbers (this is the case in Marseille).

My question is, can we consider that this species has become naturalized in France?

I ask the question because I have a site on the fauna and flora of Provence and I do not know if we can include Psittacula krameri

This paper may help you make that decision:

The paper is referring to plants, but the principles apply to all species:

Introduction means that the plant (or its propagule) has been transported by humans across a major geographical barrier. Naturalization starts when abiotic and biotic barriers to survival are surmounted and when various barriers to regular reproduction are overcome. Invasion further requires that introduced plants produce reproductive offspring in areas distant from sites of introduction.

The key question is if they are reproducing on their own (eg, no human support or replensing of the population) and maintaining a stable or increasing population. If so then they should be considered naturalized.

6 Likes

OK, Thanks for the reply but I think you got the wrong thread (maybe maybe you wanted to answer a question about Euphorbia myrsinites)

The key question is if they are reproducing on their own (eg, no human support or replensing of the population) and maintaining a stable or increasing population. If so then they should be considered naturalized.

Do you know where I could find this type of information?

No, I was answering your question specifically:

My question is, can we consider that this species has become naturalized in France?

The CABI database is usually a good place to check the status of non-native species, here is the entry for Psittacula krameri specifically, with the portion concerning France quoted below:

In France, P. krameri has become established in Aix-en-Provence (introduced 1999), Marseille (introduced 1996), Ares, Nancy (introduced 2005), Villeneuve-d’Asque (introduced 2002), Frejus (introduced 1999), La Garde (introduced 2001), L’Isle-sur-Sorgues (introduced 2002), Wissous (introduced 1984), Drancy (introduced 1990), Nogent-sur-Marne (introduced 1993), Jagny-sous-Bois (introduced 1970), Lille (introduced 1990) and Strasbourg (introduced 1999). There were populations, now extinct, in La Roche de Glun (introduced 1983) and Saint-Gilles (introduced 1990). The species has been introduced but the fate of the population is unclear at the moment in Cannes (introduced 2003), Sigean (introduced 2003), Montpellier (introduced 2007) and Mercues (introduced 2007) (Strubbe and Matthysen, 2009a).

Given that it’s listed as reproducing on its own in Belgium and Germany, it’s safe to conclude that it is doing the same in France.

The IUCN GISD database is another good reference source, here’s the specific species entry:

There is is listed as not just naturalized in France, but as actively invasive.

So, yes, it should be considered naturalized, furthermore it should be listed as invasive, at least according to the agencies that monitor this sort of thing.

I’m sure there is a French government site that keeps track of this sort of thing as there is in the US, Japan, Germany, Finland, and many other nations. Likely ones maintained by each province as well, as is also common. See if you can track those down and see what French government sources say on the subject.

The EU also tracks this sort of thing more broadly, here’s the result of a quick search for the species on the European Commission site, take a look through the 10 papers there and see what they indicate:

4 Likes

Here is another article on Psittacula krameri in Europe: https://benthamopen.com/FULLTEXT/TOOENIJ-9-1
They conclude that: “The RRP is well established in Europe with at least 90 breeding populations in 10 countries, and a total population size of at least 85,000 birds as of 2015. For Western Europe, long-term demographic data indicate the species has grown considerably in number, although some populations have failed to persist.”

3 Likes

OK, Thanks for the documents.

What is “RRP” ?

Species you ask about, Rose-ringed parrot.

OK, I thought it was a status

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.