Reliable sources for common names on iNaturalist

The assessment was based on both my and others’ experience with managing taxon articles on both Wikipedia and their corresponding Wikidata items. Though my activity mostly exclude birds, of which there are relatively few taxa and most of which are reasonably well managed due to the existing level of interest in that group.

Right, this is an example of low quality sourcing on Wikidata. Any common names on Wikidata citing Wikispecies, Wikipedia, or other user-generated content websites should be completely discounted and double checked to see if corresponding pages actually lists a reliable reference for that data. I don’t think we should be mass importing names into iNat from Wikidata, at least for English. When I see iNaturalist used as a reference for vernacular names on Wikipedia, I remove them, because as a user-generated content website, it’s not a reliable source.

This is moving afield of the topic title, which is about names displaying in a mixture of languages on the iNat site, so I’ll move it to a new one.

1 Like