Request Documentation when research grade is changed back to needs ID

cv can suggest down to species.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. I, too, don’t always write anything when I disagree with research grade IDs. Similarly to what others have said, it is because I am correcting many at once and it will slow me down to write little notes, especially when they need to be slightly different in every situation. Very few people (maybe one in 50 or one in 100?) write back to ask about the reasoning. I attempt to answer every question.

7 Likes

I do find that writing a comment significantly increases the likelihood they change their old ID to the new one, which has both pros and cons… For myself I usually prefer to change to a higher level non-disagreeing ID when corrected unless it was obviously a mistake

1 Like

That’s true that the comments make other people more likely to change. I’m thinking mostly about correcting mistakes in plant IDs, where the prior species ID is definitely incorrect, and I am able to suggest the correct species-level ID.

1 Like

I’m glad of that. Sometimes, I ask a question, with @, and get no reply.

2 Likes

I joined iNat in 2015 and it took me several years to find out I could get responses to ID questions by typing in “@ and a lead observer name”. Was this tool obvious in the guidelines and I just missed it?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.