Requesting a new genus

Hello,
I made some observations of Cytauxzoon felis, which was not a species that was available. I labeled them as simply protozoa, with the species in the comments. Is there a way to flag this to be made, or do I just hope that a curator sees it and creates one?
Thank you,
Ian

1 Like

yes, go to the taxon page of the closest relative that does exist in iNat, click Curation on the right, then Flag for Curation.

4 Likes

Good to know. I ran across a bunch of snails that aren’t on iNat today when I was updating the check list for my area.

2 Likes

With snails, please just check on MolluscaBase to see if the scientific names are correct and up-to-date before you request that those species be added.

1 Like

Did you check if the name comes up when you click “Search external name providers” when adding an identification? In most cases when a new species needs to be added to the iNat taxonomy, it can be done automatically without curator help that way.

6 Likes

I was going to say this. I only learnt this recently.

The species is there now so someone has added it: Cytauxzoon felis

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: List of iNat’s authorities for scientific names?

Every time I update the checklist for my area I check every species on the relevant database. Takes some time, but it’s worth doing, especially considering how often species are reassigned.

In most cases when a new species needs to be added to the iNat taxonomy, it can be done automatically without curator help that way.

I find that if finds the species 30-40% of the time on average, but it varies a lot by kingdom and geographic region.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.