How to get in contact with or become curator. (to add a species that isn't present on inat)

I’m just wondering how I would go about adding a species? is this even possible or do I need to find someone who wouldn’t mind doing it for me? (Im wondering because I’m trying to add a id for Broad-cheeked gecko Mokopirirakau “Okarito” however the species isn’t on inat).

help/answers would be greatly appriciated

1 Like

You need to add a flag to the parent taxon if external search doesn’t find the taxon.

2 Likes

It looks like this species hasn’t been formally described yet if I’m correct (going based on this link). I believe iNaturalist doesn’t handle names like these.

3 Likes

Not formally in the taxonomy, but they can be indicated with observation fields.

3 Likes

thanks for your suggestions!

(if you want to become a curator, see: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/curator+guide#becoming)

1 Like

Before creating curation requests to add species you can also try entering the full genus and species name in the obs. ID box and clicking “search external name databases” to see if it finds a match and can add it that way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.