"Return to top" button/link at the bottom of threads

This is just for the forum, I think it would be helpful at the bottom of the page of each thread there was a link or button that would automatically return you to the top of the page. Some threads get really long, so it would save some scrolling.

It’s just a minor feature but I think it would be helpful. :)

3 Likes

Thanks @jimbee. Since this is specific to the forum, I moved it to this section from “feature requests” where you originally submitted it.

4 Likes

The 'Home" and “End” buttons on your keyboard do that.

That’s only helpful if you’re not on mobile though.

3 Likes

On mobile there is a little tool at the bottom of the page that you can click and then it expands so you can navigate through long topics.

There is a similar scrollbar on desktop.

6 Likes

Thanks! I’ve never seen a forum with that internal scrollbar before, it’s a bit odd.

Yeah the Discourse platform is a bit quirky. I’ve found a lot of answers to my questions at their forum too: meta.discourse.org

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll take a look, this will be very helpful.

1 Like

That widget varies by mobile platform. On Android:

Tapping on the 4/7 at the bottom pops up a navigation panel with a scrollbar and the option to “Jump to” another post in the thread by number.

1 Like

Very meta with those screenshots. :blush: Yes, that’s what’s pictured in my screenshots/on my phone too (I’m not seeing any differences between yours and mine).

1 Like

You are correct! My fault. This old man was thrown off by the dark mode and the addition of the Discourse image expand icon which I took to be part of the screenshot. In the dark mode image I missed seeing the pop-up dialog as a pop-up. Thanks!

Dragging this blue bar on the right-hand side will help you navigate the page quickly:

1 Like

I also just found out now, purely by accident, that if I click the thread title it does return me to the top of the page. Woops. :)

Guess my problem is solved!

5 Likes

Nice, I didn’t know that!

3 Likes