Scheduled downtime September 21-22

iNaturalist will be offline for up to 4 hours beginning at 8 pm Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7) on Thursday, September 21 (that’s UTC 03:00 on September 22). Click to see in your local time.

During these several hours, you will not be able to post observations from the mobile apps or interact with the website or API in any way. The iNatForum will still be active.

The timing will likely be most inconvenient for those in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Oceania. We apologize in advance for anyone who is inconvenienced. Please make other plans during that time.

Similar to past scheduled downtimes, this maintenance is required to better manage iNaturalist’s growing dataset but these behind-the-scenes improvements to the database will not be visible.

13 Likes

The home-page notice says the outage starts at 9 pm. Which is correct?

2 Likes

The correct start time is 8pm Pacific. I’ve updated the website announcement. Thanks for pointing that out

2 Likes

AAAAAAiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee…

7 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself

5 Likes

What am I supposed to do if I see a really cool bug? Wait 4 whole hours to post it?!?!?!?!?!

7 Likes

Tomorrow will be a tough day for all of us!

1 Like

I hope the maintenance goes smoothly!

3 Likes

As one wag said the last time iNat was offline, “What are we supposed to do, sleep?!”

5 Likes

iNat is a bit slow.

Even though the site is back up and running, behind the scenes, some heavy operations are still underway.

It’s progressively getting better.
We can expect normal performance in less than 2 hours.

[EDIT] data re-balancing is done, we are back to normal

7 Likes