Search engine with problems with word brazil

Yes! Exactly what is happening here!

I will use this other way. Thanks for everybody. <3

1 Like

Hello,

A little bug to report (I’m from Brazil).
When I write “Brasil” in the part “Explore”, it is the Brasília map that appears (see the sreenshot).

Many thanks

Danilo Rosa

When I type Brasil and hit enter, it focuses on Brasilia (the capital of Brasil). But when I type Brasil and then select Brasil from the drop-down list, it focuses on the entire country of Brasil. I’ll leave it to someone else to determine if this is an iNat bug or a quirk of this being a Google Map. But when I’m on Google Maps, type Basil and hit enter, it focuses on the country, not Brasilia.

1 Like

it happens with Brasil and Brazil, and used to think I was the only one with this trouble :O

1 Like

@danilor welcome to the forum!
I moved your report to this existing topic because the problem and temporary solution are the same as reported here. The reason this happens is because you are running iNaturalist in Portuguese and the name of the country is spelled Brasil in Portuguese, but Brazil within iNaturalist.

When using the Location search on the Explore page, iNaturalist tries to look for a place called Brasil, but it doesn’t find the country, it finds Brasília, which it thinks is a closer match. To avoid this problem, please use Filters->More Filters->Place.

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 10.17.26 AM

2 Likes

Thanks, I managed to solve the problem!

1 Like

When searching for observations of a species in my country (Brazil), the name Brazil (or Brasil, in portuguese) is converted to Brasilia (Brazil’s capital) and iNat shows only the observations of that species in the city, not the whole country.
I have tried this king of search for other country (Peru) and all went fine.

It seems to work for me if I search Lady Beetles then narrow it to Brazil it gives me all the Lady Beetles for Brazil.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6878&taxon_id=48486

I am not sure what is happening for you, but my search gives the place ID you may be able to insert as needed until someone smarter (so, anyone) comes along to assist.

1 Like

Have a look at this https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/search-engine-with-problems-with-word-brazil/28136

1 Like

Places / Selecting “China” ends up in HK

Alternative suggestion to avoid going to the filter options:

Search for Brazil or Brasil in the search bar on top left. Country should appear as a top suggestion, independent of language settings. Then just click on ‘view observations’

3 Likes

the problem keeps, with Brazil and Brasil words… this when I look in my Your Observations browser

The place “Buffalo, NY” in Your Observations and Explore returns the the county Buffalo, Wisconsin, consistently over the past week of trying

in case you missed it, you should see jwidness’s post above:

here’s my own attempt to explain the problem and workaround in another thread:

I know there are a wide options to reach one Place, but specifically, Im asking to fix the one I posted, not just because I’m worrying, its is just I believe is have to be usefull and friendly for new users. These inaccuracies could scare new users, since the method you suggest I think is easier for experienced users and those who have been on the site for a while.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation and screen capture. That helped us experiment with that process. We now know how to do it.

The place “buffalo, NY” did not exist under more filters, but some places within the city of Buffalo did and so we could select one of them and then expand the search in the map itself

1 Like

i’m not sure what you’re thinking of as a fix.

as far as i can tell, the system is working as designed, though there are definitely issues with the design of the location vs place filters. if you’re saying that the way those filters are presented to users should be redesigned, i doubt that many people would disagree with that, but i don’t think bringing up the Brasil / Brazil case again and again in this thread is going to more quickly lead to any change in that direction.

iNat staff have brought up in the past their intention to revamp the Explore page, and when they asked for suggestions for changes that should be made as part of the revamp, this problem was brought up more than once (ex. https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/ideas-for-a-revamped-explore-observations-search-page/8439/21), and it has been brought up many times elsewhere in the forum since then as well.

so i’m fairly certain the staff are well aware of the problem. one day the problem will be addressed, but i suspect we will have to wait until the Explore page is revamped to see any action. in the meantime, we just need to help educate others on how to best use the page as it exists.

3 Likes

When selecting the name “Brazil” or “Brasil” or “republic of brazil” etc, the map selection selects the area of brasilia (which is the capital of brazil) instead of the full country of Brazil, i’ve noticed this isnt a problem for mexico (for exemple) when i search for mexico, the whole country is selected, when i select brazil, only brasilia is selected

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! I’ve moved your post here since this is a known issue - you can see some of the ways to work with this in posts above.

1 Like