Brazil - iNaturalist World Tour

We’re featuring on Brazil on the World Tour today.

Here’s the GADM Level 1 and Level 2 places we’re using. Again, my usual questions about whether these administrative units are correct and widely used. (The little piece of Santa Caterina in Amazonas is a known issue with GADM)

iNaturalist has been growing rapidly in Brazil over the last two years. But what can we do to take things to the next level in this massive, megadiverse country?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I went into project page about a metropolitan area around Porto Alegre (Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil) and note some weird boundaries, then went to investigate. I found several things wrong with Standard Places:

1. The city of “Porto Alegre” includes the city of “São José do Norte” and some random islands/tips between the two places. If I search up “São José do Norte”, it gives me a square around the urban centre of the city. I don’t think the islands are of much problem.
  2. The cities of “Estância Velha” and “Estância” are switched up.
  3. The city of “Capão da Canoa” is listed as “Capão do Leão”.
  4. The city of “Capão do Leão” is listed/divided as “Capivari do Sul” and “Capitão”, they should be merged and renamed.
  5. The city of “Terra de Areia” is including its neighbour “Itati” that should be a separate city. It also should be merged with "Capela de “Santana”, which is misnamed and is part of the city.
  6. There’s a ‘ghost city’ named “Capão da Canoa” that includes “Capivari do Sul”, “Capela de Santana” e “Capitão”. Neither of them have correct standard places, searching them only gives a square similar to item 1.

I think all of these are issues coming directly from GADM. Names and merges shouldn’t be all that hard to fix, but do you have a source for shapes for splits? For example, what’s the correct shape of Itati?

The issues really seem to come from GADM. You can visit this governamental site and click on the name of the state (Rio Grande do Sul) to download a political map of the cities. The border between Itati and Terra de Areia is basically a straight line, so probably it’s no problem to fix.

1 Like

I noted some more problems while looking through GADM:

1. The GADM city “São Valentim do Sul” is including the right city but also “São Vicente do Sul”.
  2. The city of “Nova Petrópolis” is divided into three pieces. One of them is together with GADM “Nova Palma” which includes “Nova Palma”. The other two is together with GADM “Nova Petrópolis” which also includes “Nova Prata”.

There are probably others in other states (sadly).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Issues with places have been transferred to flags. https://www.inaturalist.org/flags?flaggable_type=Place