"Similar Species" aren't loading on Taraxacum Officinale taxon page

Platform: Website

Browser: Chrome & Microsoft Edge (didn’t test others)

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47602-Taraxacum-officinale

Screenshots of what you are seeing:

Description of problem:

Step 1: Go to Taraxacum Officinale taxon page
Step 2: Click on “Similar Species” (lower right)
Step 3: Wait forever and see the results never load :-)

Since I’ve started trying (about a week ago), I can’t get any results if I try globally or filter to include just the United States. Sometimes if I filter to just a specific state it will load, but not usually. It doesn’t seem to make any difference how many observations exist in the state, and sometimes a state that loaded earlier won’t later, or won’t load but upon a later attempt will. It also doesn’t seem to matter how long I sit and wait. I’ve tried many other species with more (and fewer) observations, across multiple geographic filters, and they all work great - just not Taraxacum officinale. I mentioned the issue here, and the issue seemed to be replicating with other folks.

Thanks for your work & good luck!

1 Like

I can replicate in Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10. I wonder if it is some kind of issue where most of the disagreed IDs are actually disagreements bumping it back to one of its own ancestors - like disagrees to Genus. And then it is getting confused or something similar?

Genus taraxacum and T. erythropspermum also are not working for me. T. ceratophorum is so it isn’t all of taraxacum.

May or may not be connected, but it looks like @jdmore created the taxon framework deviation for T. officinale this morning. I don’t see why that would cause this issue because I don’t think it would trigger a re-index?

1 Like

Yes, this was done long after the problem was already being observed, and shouldn’t have any effect either way. More info in the current flag on the species.

1 Like

This is still not working, so I’m guessing it isn’t related to some ongoing server task.

Not sure if this is related, but there are over 3,200 observations (over 1800 of them RG) which, impossibly, are in taraxacum officinale but not in Section taraxacum. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&subview=map&taxon_id=47602&verifiable=any&without_taxon_id=967514.

There are also a few hundred observations that are taraxacum officinale but not genus taraxacum: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&subview=map&taxon_id=47602&verifiable=any&without_taxon_id=47603

Manually re-indexing the individual observations by checking and unchecking ‘cannot be improved’ seems to fix them. Section and Genus taraxacum are almost certainly the most common ‘mis-IDs’ for t. officinale, certainly more than any specific other species, so maybe trying to process those observations with their indices corrupted create some kind of paradox for the system? Or maybe the issue is just that the most common ‘mis-ID’ is the parent; can anyone think of another case of a large-ish taxa where that might be true?

The newest affected observation was added about 3-4 weeks before Section taraxacum was created in November 2019, so I’m guessing the indexing issues are some carry-over from that change.