Slow website loading

@pleary – i think i have some more insight into melodi_96’s error messages from before. i noticed i was getting very similar messages yesterday when i was working on page that pulls observation counts by iconic taxon and also by quality grade. this particular page makes 3 requests (since there are 3 quality grades) for each of 14 iconic taxa, for a total of 42 requests. that means if you run this a second time in rapid succession, you’ll exceed API request limits.

i thought in the past when i exceeded API limits, i would get an error message indicating that there were too many requests (similar to https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/searching-for-taxon-on-identify-stalls-out/4286/11), but it looks like the error messages that i’m getting in this situation are those CORS messages that melodi_96 was getting. so the message is a little unexpected.

here’s a screenshot of errors, etc.:

if you want to reproduce what i captured above, go here (https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNat_obs_counts_by_iconic_taxa.html?user_id=pleary), and then as soon as the page loads, change the user_id in the URL and pull data for a new user.

getting back to melodi_96’s original report then, she might be exceeding API request limits when she loads a bunch of observations on her phone and at the same time tries to use the website to do other stuff.

(sort of a tangent, but i remember somebody recounting to me sometime ago that they had tried to host an identification party for a CNC a few years ago. they reserved a large space with good internet, got a few extra computers for those who didn’t BYOC, bought snacks / refreshments, and invited a bunch of local experts to come in and identify stuff. but then when everyone arrived and started trying to identify all at once, they found that they could barely use the website – even beyond the usual lagginess during CNCs – and so the party ended up a bust… none of the attendees were super tech savvy, and they attributed the problem to internet connection issues. but i wonder it was just API request limit problems in that case?)

1 Like