Something you can do with extra fossil shark teeth

This is something I honestly have not thought about in over three years…

Me ‘cleaning’ my room.

-Inside my head- “Aag! Why do I have so many fossil shark teeth lying around!? Where the heck am I supposed to put all of them!?”

-Later inside my head - “Ooo. I was wondering where these maps were! -Oh, I’m out of thumbtacks again. Now what?”

-Seconds later- click. “Heeey… I got an idea…”

A few minute later…

Me - The maps are up.

Person - Help up by what? You said you were out of tacks.

Me - Umm, Shark teeth… Wanna know what species!?

Person - No.

Me - pauses to think. - Get out of my room.

But seriously, if you guys happen to need more thumbtacks for something on your corkboards, and you happen to have a few hundred fossil teeth laying around that are not labeled or used for any real purpose, go ahead and use them as tacks. It works well. I do it a lot now so that I don’t have to continue buying more and more thumbtacks.

I usually use fossil tiger shark teeth, snaggletooth, and other fossil teeth that are long and pointy because they are not very big and do not cause much damage to whatever you are using them on if you decide to take it off of the cork board. I still have three or four 6 ounce boxes full of fossil teeth that I found buried in my closet. I actually have no idea where most of them came from, nor if they were originally mine. Not sure.

Old dried out crab/lobster claws could work too, I also have a lot of those that I got from a friend who goes crabbing (I think that is what its called?) often, and they are all quite large.

Make due with what you have if it works.

3 Likes

Would you mind changing the title to be a little more clear? I kind of came into this having no idea what to expect

3 Likes

Clickbait! ;)

4 Likes

Does that work?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s fine.

Edit: Right now it’s a question; making it a statement is probably preferably because it doesn’t seem like you actually are asking a question, just describing an anecdote of interesting information. Might be getting a little to picky now though ;)

By reading your post I am struck with one question
How shark teeth are collected? Well I think its some kind of poaching

Fossil shark teeth are what I am talking about.

okay well it’s interesting that how do you got them!

There are areas on the North American Coastal Plain that used to be shallow seafloor. Over thousands of years, sharks swimming above lost teeth, which mixed into the sediment. Nowadays, as this material is dredged, it is possible to sift through it to find the fossil teeth.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.