Species/leaves/any

Dear curators,

If you go to your life list, there are settings on the right and the rank line with three options – species, leaves and any. I’ve never heard of such a rank as “leaves”. It is set by default. If you make any, then taxa are added (by the number of undefined species).

What does “leaves” mean?

Thank you in advance.

Alexander

1 Like

welcome @alexanderdubynin.

if you think of a set of observations as being arranged taxonomically in a tree, a “leaf” in that tree is an endpoint of each branch in that tree, with the most granular taxonomic rank being species. for example, if you have a set of 3 observations where A = Bird, B = Mammal, and C = Blue Jay (a bird), you will have 1 species (Blue Jay) and 2 leaves (Mammal and Blue Jay).

5 Likes

Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Hi @alexanderdubynin and welcome to the forum.

You can ask questions about iNaturalist in the “General” category. There are many knowledgeable users there who would be happy to help you.
The “Curators” category is meant more for questions specifically relevant to Curators’ work, not general questions. Only Curators are meant to start threads here, though others are welcome to participate in the conversation.

I think @pisum is right. And I hope you continue asking good questions!

3 Likes

Hi!
I see. Thank you.

3 Likes

(moved to General category)

Correct, so if you want to see subspecies, any is the choice you want.

(This always seemed backward to me. Leaves should only show the lowest identified rank on a branch, and any should show all identified ranks on all branches. But that’s not how it works.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.