Specimens As Observations

As an educator (I’m a M.Ed. who chose to unschool my son and work as a homeschool portfolio evaluator), I’ve organized nature clubs and nature study workshops for a decade.

Last summer I began paring down my casual collections - and donating bones, feathers, etc. to local nature centers.

Yesterday I found a number of ocean-related specimens (collected on beach vacations) and I’m wondering, before I donate these items…for ex. ‘mermaid’s purses,’ ‘mud crabs,’ etc. is it valuable to photograph and add them to my iNat observations?

1 Like

You can always photograph an organism that you collected, however, you just have to relocate the location to the location you found the species in. I believe that every organism has its place on Inaturalist

3 Likes

In my opinion, if you know the location and an approximate date, yes. Go for it, they are useful records.

3 Likes

Why not?

Yes, I would upload them. The only reason I would say no is if you don’t have a good date for them. For location if you don’t remember the exact spot, just make sure you set the accuracy to include all the possible locations.

1 Like

Just like to say your website diary is wonderful. I enjoyed reading through it.

And so I contribute to the topic, sure, upload them, I’d love to see the difference between your (North American) mermaids purses and mine (Southern Australia)!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.