Speed iNatting Ideas

I suppose this is outside of your use case since you said you don’t like using a computer, but if you use this method, it only adds a few extra minutes and you get good locations if the camera and gps have synced times. Then you literally just take photos when in the field, take a minute or two to geotag them, and you’re good to go. Also, I like having a database of tracks of my hikes, it’s pretty fun.

Personally going through photos is quite enjoyable to me, so I don’t mind the culling and cropping - it’s a nice way to wind down after a hike and relive cool encounters. Then again I’m more and more using iNat as a way to post my photos rather than as a recording platform as I focus more on photography, so our goals are a bit different here.

Canon, Nikon, and Sony all have smartphone apps that allow you to connect your phone with your camera via bluetooth and use your phone’s location info to tag photos as you take them. However, I’ve found both the bluetooth connection and the app’s location updates to be spotty, so I never use it. Much more reliable to just keep a track and sync later.

3 Likes