Starting a summer project for HS Students

Like @fffffffff, I’m not an educator, but I like to teach moth ID on iNat. This might be a helpful thread - https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/intro-to-inaturalist-3-minute-overview/31079/14
One of the pitfalls of iNat is that some experienced folks simply correct incorrect ID’s without giving reasons why. I would assume it would be daunting to a new user - I know I find it a small bit annoying, but I’ve been doing this for some time. I do try to explain why I change an ID. So before using iNat, I would stress this aspect. Personally, I have found most people who identify to be receptive to questions, but not everyone would agree with that assessment.
Personally I find plants, and “lower” life forms (I hate that term - such arrogance on our behalf!) hard to identify, so the students may not get a lot of feedback with common plants. Birds and mammals seem to be readily Identified. As well as some insects. It may be good to prepare students to the fact that they may not get much feedback for some observations.
But like others have said, good luck. iNat is a great place to learn a lot about non-human life, if people take the time to learn. Perhaps present it as a ‘gateway’ to that world?

2 Likes