Status 'casual' as result of low level ID

I am not sure if this is something. I never noticed it before.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/19320415
This dead Leaf Warbler sp-record has only one photo which does not show enough for an ID at species level. As yellow records always draw some attention of reviewers I figured what if I tick the box ‘NO’ at the question
“Based on the evidence, can the Community Taxon still be confirmed or improved?”
I hoped it would change the status (or begin the process of reaching the status) to green ‘Leaf Warblers’.

Instead the status changed to casual. Usually you see captive animals or wrongful entries with that label…

I thought that sometimes a genus level ID was enough for Research Grade, was I wrong or did it change per chance?

Pardon me if it was all over the Inat news and I have missed it

cheers
Gerben

1 Like

Ticking that box will only move the observation to research grade (green) if the observation is at subfamily or lower. It is not possible to have observations ID’ed to family or above be research grade, so ticking that box will move them to casual

(there are many ways an observation can be listed as casual aside from being captive, e.g. no date observed, no coordinates, ID of human, various DQA options marked)

5 Likes

thanks for that reply. I did not know that. I know (and use) the other criteria/boxes for casual labels. I figured that genus level would be ok as it is only 1 step up from species level. (or down).

iĺl untick that box then
cheers,
Gerben

2 Likes

genus is ok, but that observation is not at genus

3 Likes

oops…you’re right… should’ve seen that

thanks for being sharper than i am

edit: I brought it to genus level, I suppose it needs a 2nd vote for the genus?

cheers,
Gerben

1 Like

yep, will need 2 votes (to prevent someone adding a single ID of their own and immediately bumping it to research grade)

Sure, thanks!
I thought i’d better ask again before I assume something not true

cheers
Gerben

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.