Subscriptions not showing up in Dashboard or email notifications

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website, Android, Gmail

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/98275315 (sighting of Lycorma delicatula in Massachusetts)

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): I have set up subscriptions to various species that I only want to get notified about if they are in my home state. I recently realized that these subscriptions are not showing up either in my dashboard or in my email notifications.

My email notifications are on and every single box is checked except “Observations by people I follow.” Things seemed to stop working after I updated my Subscriptions to be place-focused, i.e. I was originally subscribed to Taxon: Lycorma delicatula (spotted lanternfly), but instead created a subscription for following this taxon but only in Massachusetts. I need to do this because of the species in question (super common in other states, I only care about new finds in Massachusetts). Nothing is in my Spam folder.

If this is not a bug, please tell me how I can get alerts about this specific information without having to log on to iNat every day (and very sorry for wasting anyone’s time)?

Step 1: Subscribe to a Place and choose any taxon and Massachusetts

Step 2: Go to Account Settings → Notifications and make sure box is checked for “Observations of taxa or from places that I subscribe to”

Step 3: Check daily emails and dashboard, info is not there? I get emails when people @ tag me and when people I follow post

assuming your subscriptions are set up correctly and the e-mails are not getting directed to spam, then you might want to reach out directly to help@inatuarlist.org to try to get staff assistance with this problem.

this sounds similar to:

welcome to the forum.

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I wonder if this error was detected and now is fixed. I will look into it and email them if it continues.

I think this is probably your issue:

2 Likes

Thank you! I saw this when I was searching for answers (before I posted) and did set an alert for just genus Lycorma in Massachusetts. This hack works for me only because there are no other Lycorma present. At least I think it works, no way of testing it until another Lycorma observation shows up…

This should be working now, I’m going to mark it solved.