Taxon searches with right single quotation mark (’) instead of apostrophe (') don't work on iOS

Platform: iOS 16.1.2

App version number: 3.2.6, build 670

Screenshots of what you are seeing:

Description of problem:

The default “apostrophe” character on iOS is actually a right single quotation mark, . To enter a proper apostrophe, ', you need to long press on the soft key; I imagine most people don’t know or do this. The taxon search for names with apostrophes in them, e.g. Say’s phoebe, does not work with the default single quote character. Both seem to work fine on web.

6 Likes

A similar bug happens on desktop too that I’ve known about for a while but never reported. Searching for the Hawaiian name 'a’ali’i works only if you don’t type the full name. In this case, it’s actually the opposite, kinda, you can type the name without any sort of quote/'okina and it will be okay if the character in the name is a single quote, but does not work if the character in the name is an apostrophe. My keyboard types U+0027 (apostrophe) and when I include them, the name does not show up. But when I do not include them, the name does not show up

shows up for the first four characters

does not show up if full name typed without any apostrophe / 'okina (expected behavior: Dodonaea should show up)

name does not show up if typed with apostrophe / 'okina (expected behavior: Dodonaea should show up)

Here’s the name as it is in iNat. I know I can just change the name to be consistent with the character used for 'okina but this seems to be a bug regardless.

3 Likes

Here’s a previous issue regarding the ʻokina in searches: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/cant-search-certain-characters-x-in-hybrids-apostrophe-in-hawaiian-names/9161

3 Likes