Taxonomy for breakfast

Simple idea, perhaps a good way to introduce kids* to the world of taxonomy:

What species did you have for breakfast this morning?

Include as many ingredients as you can. Cereals and their ingredient lists can be exceptionally global in scope!

*Pins on a world map could also make the list very interesting.

16 Likes

I used to keep the Oxford Book of Food Plants near the dinner table so I could look up what I was eating. It’s amazing to think how international something like a stir fry or some stew can be when you know where all the ingredients come from.

6 Likes

Made me some fried Gallus gallus domesticus eggs this morning, along with a bowl of yogurt from Bos taurus milk and Vaccinium sp. A typical Western-style breakfast.

6 Likes

oats, coconut, pumpkin and sunflower and hemp seeds, walnuts, raisins, peaches, apricots, yoghurt, carob, cocoa, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, grapefruit, blueberries and some commercial flakes (quinoa and millet) on top.
Then the labels, product of …

2 Likes

Avena sativa boiled with Dihydrogen monoxide, no sodium chloride or sucrose. With milk of Bos taurus and a coulis of Morus nigra, Rubus idaeus, Mangifera indica, and Fragaria virginiana. Complimented with brewed Coffea arabica beans.
[edit added four hours later, where in the world map]

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/map?taxa=57156,74113,126741,54436,48872,77155,64342#2/15.284/45

6 Likes

Oof… I need to actually eat breakfast more often. Today I had baked Triticum cultured with Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Saccharum officinarum dipped in ground Cicer arietinum and Sesamum indicum, followed by a processed stick of Bos taurus and Sus domesticus meat.

2 Likes

I had multigrain bread with jelly and butter and coffee with milk this morning. I made an iNat list so you can see how everything is related. https://www.inaturalist.org/lists/4380880-Breakfast?view=taxonomic

6 Likes

Impressive list!! I really hadn’t thought about how many species are in multigrain bread before. This is a really fun idea.

1 Like

The corn is just cornstarch and the apple is just apple pectin so they don’t really contribute to the flavor of the bread or jelly.

Had exact same thing plus peanutbutter minus the coffee

1 Like

two spoons of sweet fluid made by Apis mellifera, of I think it came, from Laureliopsis philippiana from southern Chile, in a cup Coffea arabica with some sticks of Cinnamomum sp within,
Really need to have a better breakfast!

4 Likes

Sounds like a fun idea, but I always eat the same thing for breakfast. :)

Pancakes made with a flour based primarily from the seed of the fruit of Prunus amygdalus, a Maranta species, and a Cocos species topped with sap from Acer saccharum. And a cup of milk from Bos taurus.

2 Likes

Funnily enough, instead of my usual Coffea arabica, today it was Camellia sinensis. Which means that instead of Saccharum officinarum, I sweetened it with a blend of nectars processed by Apis mellifera.

Depending on what mood I was in on grocery shopping day, my milk will be either Anacardium occidentale, Prunus amygdalus, or Glycine max. Of course, if I happen to find the milk of Cannabis sativa, I find that much richer, and prefer it.

On the other hand, if it’s a granola day, then instead of milk, it will be yogurt, either Anacardium occidentale or Capra hircus.

Check out the #PlantsGiving hashtag on Twitter.

2 Likes

Triticum aestivum and Arachis hypogaea

I just finished a tasty breakfast of eggs of Gadus morhua in a paste made with Brassica napus oil, Saccharum officinarum, Solanum tuberosum powder, Solanum lycopersicum paste, Capsicum anuum, and Dactylopius coccus (for color), on bread made with Triticum aestivum, Hordeum vulgare, Secale cereale, Saccharomyces cerevesiae, Glycine max, Carum carvi, Allium cepa and Zea mays, with a spread made from Bos taurus milk and cream and a fermentation product of Xanthomonas campestris, seasoned with Piper nigrum and Anethum graveolens and complemented with a few leaves of Lactuca sativa longifolia.

(That is, a cod roe sandwich with cream cheese and romaine lettuce on rye, seasoned with dill and black pepper.)

What a fun (and educational) project! This would make a great lab for an intro bio course.

6 Likes

Idk… it’s gonna be hard to identify all those insect fragments that got ground up with the flour that was used to make my toast

6 Likes

damn, that sounds good!!

1 Like

Home-grown, Organically, Blueberries, Figs, Apples topped with Organic Greek Yogurt, Coffee w/Almond Milk.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.