Light-hearted nonsense: plant species for a brunch garden

First we are going to start out with a solid base of different plant species commonly called “mimosa,” and then fill in with flowers whose names contain “egg” and other breakfast foods. Let’s hear some suggestions! Geographical or horticultural restrictions need not be considered.

Romneya are sometimes called Fried Eggs.
Lotus corniculatus occasionally goes by Bacon and Eggs.
Linaria vulgaris is Butter and Eggs (does anyone butter their eggs?!)
Limnanthes douglasii, Poached Eggs
I’ve never heard of this one but iNat tells me Manochlamys albicans is the Baconbush. Sounds ideal.

6 Likes

Plenty of plants to choose from on the coffee theme:
Coffee, the real deal
but also Frangula californica, the Coffeeberry
Pallaea andromedifolia Coffee Fern
Leucaena leucocephala Coffee Bush
Gymnocladus dioicus Kentucky Coffeetree
Sesbania herbacea Coffee Weed

4 Likes

There are a bunch of plants called “Scrambled Eggs” but I think of Corydalis aurea.

I’d recommend Biscuitroots (Genus Lomatium) and Buttercups (Ranunculacaea Family). Ooooh, what about some Pancakes? Opuntia chlorotica

4 Likes

Going to need some Frying Pans for all these eggs!

Empogona kirkii junodii Fluffy-flowered Jackal-Coffee
Acacia acuminata Raspberry Jam Tree
Butia capitata Jelly Palm
Abutilon sonneratianum Butter and Cheese (for a more German breakfast)
Erica tegulifolia Pastry Heath (alternate common name)

And I’m not sure what a Butterspoon is but it sure sounds tasty and brunchy.

6 Likes

Well, they’re not plants, and it’s not just the names that recall brunch foods but how about some chicken and waffles? You can even add a little maple syrup.

4 Likes

Of course we can grow fungi in an entirely fictional garden!

4 Likes

Don’t forget the tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia), and we can always use some orange and tangerine (boring, I know), a potato bush (Lycianthes rantonneti), and a sausage tree (Kigelia africana).

4 Likes

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing and coming up with this guys!

Don’t forget your spoon-leaf yucca, fork-mosses, and knife-leaf wattle. And what is a baconfig???

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I can only guess maybe a botanist last name Bacon was involved.

1 Like

How about apricot jelly or plums and custard

2 Likes

well then, witch’s butter can go on the list too especially if witches attend brunch. Apparently these are called Breakfast-fish which I do apologize, is not brunch.

I don’t butter my eggs but I do fry them in butter!

4 Likes

we might need an etiquette tree too…for help with place settings, cutlery and manners? (couldn’t find an etiquette bush)

2 Likes

Wow I didn’t know so many fungi sound so tasty.

1 Like

And their lupine familiars will provide the wolf’s milk.

2 Likes

Literally no one put up ‘Egg and Bacon’ plant?! Common name for a whole group of Fabaceae in Australia. Most specifically Pultenea villosa and Eutaxia obovata

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Cool!

Well… Since I don’t think anyone mentioned it, there is always Eggplants and Milkweeds.

3 Likes

Biscuitroot, anyone?

2 Likes