Template for new Bug Reports

It’s really helpful to have as much information when investigating a bug, and many of us (myself included, before I started answering help@inaturalist.org emails) don’t know which information is best to include when making a bug report.

So, after consulting with staff and moderators, I added a template in Bug Reports, which will appear whenever you start a new topic in that category, and it asks for basic information like browser, app, URLs, screenshots, etc to help someone reporting a bug include as much useful information as possible.

Hopefully this will reduce the number of questions other forum members have when responding to a bug, as well as reduce the amount of time it takes staff to investigate and fix a bug. Let me know if you have any questions.

18 Likes

Smart response!

3 Likes

i think a template is a good idea in concept and in most cases, but this template doesn’t actually force anyone to fill out any of the requested information, and the template prompts can actually end up being extra clutter in a bug report that actually makes it harder to decipher what the person is trying to convey. for example: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/blue-faced-meadowhawk-sympetrum-ambiguum/10121.

If definitely requires more cleanup, but it’s probably worth it on the whole.