The dumbest myths you heard about animals

I saw my first nightjar last year https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/178900429 though could be wrong on ID.

But I was quite confused initially because I didnt know about them, so when I saw it on the ground initially I wondered if it was hurt. They seem pretty unique, so could see some mythos developing around them.

1 Like

Well, if you want to get technical about it, the earliest forms of what we would would recognize as birds were around at the same time as the big therapods. They had a common ancestor, which is why the terms avian and non-avian dinosaur are gaining traction. /pedantic

(No, the Doctor and I aren’t armchair palentologists; whyever would you think that?) :grin:

My current favorite dumb animal myth is that feathered dinosaurs aren’t scary. Says nobody who has ever been chased by an angry mama goose. (Or worse, a broody Sandhill Crane, as one of my best friends can vouch.)

P.S.: if the NYNHM is hiding dragons, who do I have to sweet talk to adopt a Night Fury?

3 Likes

Don’t apologize for being knowledgable!

My “understanding” of the giant/dragon thing is that it’s not a Jewish people are hiding living dinosaurs in area 51 situation and more a they died/hunted to extinction? and AMNH is hiding the evidence for reasons?

I sincerely believe that if Dungeons and Dragons was a little more popular with the older generation we wouldn’t have nearly as many conspiracy theories

2 Likes

When I was young, the older generation had conspiracy theories about that, too!

3 Likes