The most iNatted plants without Wikipedia articles

More about iNaturalist and Wikipedia here.

Here are a bunch of plants with lots of iNat observations that don’t yet have Wikipedia articles in English.

Want to help create them?:white_check_mark: ALL DONE!

Here are a few examples of simple, short articles that you could use as a template:

Questions about editing on Wikipedia? Feel free to ask below or send me a private message here.

Don’t worry about making mistakes, there is a community of people happy to help get the formatting right.

14 Likes

Do you have a special way of generating these? Would be interesting to adapt it to, say, “most common obs in country X without a page on the Wikipedia of the language of country X” :)

4 Likes

Nope, nothing special. Just formatted a bunch of species names as wikilinks and parsed through the redirects and redlinks. But I’d also be interested if someone else can find a quicker/more dynamic way. :)

2 Likes

Various moss species might not warrant their own pages but are likely to have a fleshed-out genus page on Wikipedia already (and seeing the genus page might even help some realize they can’t necessarily id a given photo of some moss all the way to species after all). Is there a way to link in alternate, broader pages?

3 Likes

All species warrant their own articles. :) It’s not recommend to make a redirect from an accepted species to its genus (with some exceptions, like monotypic genera).

4 Likes

OK, in those cases maybe a stub would at least get someone over to wikipdeia where they could “click up” to the genus page if they wanted. Thanks!

6 Likes

I made you a Potentilla argentea page. Merry Christmas, although you may not see it until Easter.

3 Likes

Do you mean generating automatically a list of species without Wikipedia content, among the most observed species on iNaturalist?

I could do that.

Could you tell more?

Would you like separate lists for all Classes or Orders (cf. Taxonomy), instead of a single list with many unrelated species?

3 Likes

I’ll send you and @reosarevok a message :)

Thanks!

Thanks for identifying these species to work on! Started the draft for fall purple aster, and will return tomorrow to add more.

2 Likes

Just to check, it may pay to verify there is not an article under a synonym or outdated name just in case the article names have not kept up with taxonomy. Some of these may already be there.

1 Like

I already checked and whittled down the list quite a bit before posting this but feel free to edit the first post in this topic if you notice any others that should be removed.

@loopy30 has added several articles and the list is getting whittled down :)

1 Like

I just realized I never wrapped up this post! @loopy30 rounded out the remaining articles on the list and all of these commonly observed plants have Wikipedia articles! :partying_face:

9 Likes

The Calyptocarpus article left out one of the interesting facts about it: heterospermy. And from what I have seen in the botanical keys, it is a bit of a different kind of heterospermy: whereas some heterospermous Asteraceae have ray achenes and disk achenes, the key entry for Calyptocarpus specified only “central” and “marginal” achene types – meaning that they do not correspond one-to-one with disk and ray flowers?

1 Like

You can search for articles on WikiData with iNaturalist ID and no article in Wikipedia in English (or any other language).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.