Tomatoes, berries, fruits, and vegetables - discuss!

Zucchini chocolate cakes are legitimately one of my favorite foods ever.

4 Likes

Where I am it’s called zucchini bread, but it’s actually spice cake. Main flavor is cinnamon etc. For some reason Americans like to make cakes in a loaf pan and pretend they are breads.

2 Likes

I usually eat them in a cookie-like form, but they are really just tiny round cakes.

2 Likes

Zucchini brownies were some of the best brownies I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

Zucchini brownies??!!

Are they sweet?

No, but they are very sweet.

2 Likes

HAAAH, SORRY!!! I didn’t realize!!! How is this possible? I wrote sweat instead of sweet, I’m such a fool…

My mom used to make zucchini bread all of the time; same basic recipe as pumpkin bread, but you just switch which squash you’re using. She made them as traditional sweet quickbreads, though. I’m the oddball who makes savory zucchini and pumpkin breads.

2 Likes

Does a Mars bar become a vegetable when you deep fry it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Kids would eat vegetables more if anything deep fried was a vegetable.

The American school lunch program considers ketchup to be vegetable, and used to consider pizza a vegetable as well. The program requires all children being served school lunch to take at least one vegetable, and somehow those count.

2 Likes

They’re pretty good, but ripeness is key:

• Green Berries, Green Insides - Said to be inedible and toxic.
  • Dark Purple Berries, Greenish Insides - Very bland
  • Dark Purple Berries, Dark Purple Insides - Sweet and Fruity
  • Dark Purple Berries, Dark Purple Insides, Sun Dried and Deflated - Tastes like a raisin!

A good indicator for ripeness is the calyx, which lifts up from the berry and often turns brown at optimal ripeness.

2 Likes

I knew the green ones were toxic but didn’t really know the other facts. Thank you! I would love to try black nightshade berries, but I live in a city and here they’re all growing near the road so it probably isn’t the best idea.

2 Likes

You could “rescue” them and try growing them in pots, like this. They also grow well from cuttings, so digging up the whole plant isn’t needed. Usually a branch cut just below a node, where the cutting above is still soft/meristemic is enough to propogate it. The biggest problem is the many similar-looking species in the Complex Solanum nigrum group that just don’t taste good.

1 Like

They would already have tons of heavy metals in them.

3 Likes

I definitely agree that consuming anything known to grow in a highly heavy-metal contaminated area would be problematic, but where would the contamination come from? Is TEL still used in the petrol/gasoline? There’s also the question of bioaccumulation of heavy metals, but I haven’t found much research except this.

1 Like

I was guessing blueberries and hazelnuts.

Which is why the drupes of ginkgo have to be defined as cones, even though they are nothing like cones.

They’re kind of like juniper cones.

Is Magnolia fruit a cone?

1 Like