Tomatoes, berries, fruits, and vegetables - discuss!

Because number of seeds is not the main sign of that fruit type, berries can be with one seed.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Berries (excluding strawberries and similar) are fruit.

1 Like

but botanical berries are not all accepted as edible fruit.
Solanum … can be tomato, or deadly.

2 Likes

It becomes a vegetable if you deep fry it :innocent:

1 Like

My head is swimming :woozy_face:

How does the flavor change when deepfrying Physalis peruviana vs fresh and what batter is used?

1 Like

Well, Solanum nigrum berries (for example) are edible as well when they’re ripe!

3 Likes

traditionally made into jam here. Haven’t tried it.

1 Like

Botanically it will still be a fruit no matter how you cook it.

1 Like

If it’s synonymous with the one sold as a novelty, called “Wonderberry,” you aren’t missing much. Despite the name, it really isn’t that wonderful. It’s mostly sold on its fictional history – allegedly a hybrid created by Luther Burbank, named Solanum × burbankii, it is actually a native South African species, Solanum retroflexum. Once the novelty wears off, it isn’t anything to get excited about.

That’s true of green beans and snow peas, too, if you want to get technical. For that matter, so are several of what we think of as spices – neither (culinary) fruits not vegetables, but seasonings.

Related thread: The Wonder of Spices - Nature Talk - iNaturalist Community Forum

I’m curious what that is? Like rhubarb, perhaps? A vegetative part of the plant, but used in fruit-like ways, such as pies and jam?

2 Likes

Yeah, rhubarb is what I was thinking of at the time. There are many more examples the other way around though (vegies that are fruits). Edit: actually after some googling rhubarb is probably the only example, so it would have been better if I’d originally said “sometimes you’ll hear the term “culinary vegetable” when the object is actually a fruit” because there’s so many more examples compared to my original statement

1 Like

If rhubarb stem is a ‘fruit’ then so are carrots, beetroot, (pumpkin and zucchini are fruit both ways :rofl: ) - when used in baking.

1 Like

Carrot and zucchini cakes can be very yummy, and of course here in the US we’re entering the season for pumpkin pie popping up everywhere now. :pie:

2 Likes

If you want to get realistic*****…

PS: I ate eggs with green beans today as breakfast hehe.

Carrot cakes are delicious, but what??! Zucchini cakes?? I’ve never heard about that before!! I never thought you could make a cake out of zucchini!! I must google that.

Edit: Do you mean those zucchini fritters??

Zucchini in chocolate cake is excellent!

4 Likes

That sounds like a joke.

Actually its not! The zucchini doesn’t really make a difference to the taste but it makes the cake nice and moist.

5 Likes

I’m impressed.