Using Same Pinned Location for all observations

I use the same pinned location for all my observations.
All observations of mine are on the hills and canyons behind the last house on my street. the Red Circle marker says 50 meters accuracy.
Is that OK?
I have an old camera, it does not record location of images.

1 Like

If you are sure that your observation is within that circle, then I don’t see any problem with this time-saving method of adding the location. Especially since the radius is relatively small.

3 Likes

I would say generally fine. The only exception could be where there are very different habitats within a wide circle of accuracy where a more precise location could help understand the habitat where the organism was photographed. But in your case, the environment seems pretty homogeneous.

2 Likes

Yeah, especially considering 50m is really not that bad of an accuracy (especially as far as some that I’ve seen at over a km), so I wouldn’t worry about it all that much. Also, most researchers should be pretty much fine with that level of accuracy unless you find something specifically interesting such as a rare plant, but even then, they could just reach out to you about it. In most use cases that I have seen of GBIF data, it has been for computer modeling, and an accuracy of 50m should do basically nothing to that kind of model. The only problem I could see would be from other iNat users, but in that case you can just explain the situation.

TLDR: you’re fine.

1 Like

If there are particular subjects you might want to revisit, say to record different seasonal phases, you can edit the location of those just by visual markers and make a smaller radius.

2 Likes

As long as all the observations are made in that circle, you’re fine. If the area you’re making the observations in is larger, make the circle larger to encompass them all, and then you’re fine.

2 Likes

Is there a possibility of marking a certain area of observations in another form as in the way as a “circle” ? This may be very useful for example if you want to hold observations along a river together, an distinguish them from the surrounding area.

1 Like

As long as they are within the circle perfectly acceptable.
Preferable to “Accuracy: Not recorded”

There isn’t a way to set accuracy to a value that doesn’t function as a radius. But depending on the place, you can enter that as the location which will display for the observation. You can also make a project and use that to collect observations within a certain area/place.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.