Website Displaying Wrong Location

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Microsoft edge

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: Supplejack (Berchemia scandens) from De Kalb, TX 75559, USA on April 04, 2021 at 03:41 PM by Cosmic Cat. Oklahoma State Bioblitz Red Slough WMA · iNaturalist

Hairyflower Spiderwort (Tradescantia hirsutiflora) from De Kalb, TX 75559, USA on April 04, 2021 at 03:46 PM by Cosmic Cat. Oklahoma State Bioblitz Red Slough WMA · iNaturalist

Poison Ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) from De Kalb, TX 75559, USA on April 04, 2021 at 03:42 PM by Cosmic Cat. Oklahoma State Bioblitz Red Slough WMA · iNaturalist

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Yesterday I made a lot of observations in McCurtain County, Oklahoma. Most of the observations display the correct location, but two of them say De Kalb, TX. The little green location dot is in the correct location, so I don’t know why the site is saying the observation is in De Kalb.

1 Like

They were made with app, so it’s likely because of this, phone or app itself. Written location name hopefully has no effect on anything.

1 Like

the same problem. observations made by phone with not so precise gps positioning, so they were adjusted manually on sattelite map on android app. On desktop sat they shift for 5-10 meters.

Observations made with a phone can have accuracy radii of 5m or less. The issue here probably not the accuracy but the “locality notes” of the observation, which are sourced from Google Maps or Apple Maps. Please see this FAQ: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/help#localitynotes So not a bug, just part and parcel of using map services to get some sort of location name.

even if I manualy select coordinates precisely in center of satelite image of tree in android application (visually estimated with ±0,3м precision) ? Thank You for link. As far as I can understood “locality notes” is like name of place. I assume I get lat and lon values changed in desktop or desktop and phone app use different sat sources so the same coordinates shift (and will shift in future if sat ver will be updated). Angle of photography, sat map fixation in coord sys precision - that things. sorry for pushing out of topic question. probably should make it separate.